PZ drum mower oil level

/ PZ drum mower oil level #1  

LukeD

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 John Deere 3020
Hello everyone!
I recently inherited an older PZ (zweegers) drum cutter. I've read through a manual that I found online, and was able to quickly figure out how to change the blades and grease it. But I cannot figure out how to check/drain the oil. The directions are way too vague, and in some language that I don't understand. Can anyone with experience please help me out?

/ PZ drum mower oil level #2  
I've a SFI 2555/135 drum mower. I've read that it's similar to a PZ. To check oil I have just remove the top filler breather plug and use a screwdriver to stick it with and if it's looks to be approximately 1/2 full I'm good to go. As per drain I'm guessing that somewhrere on the bottom will be a plug. My unit is almost brand new and I've not had to drain/change oil yet. When I do I'll probably use 80/90 gear oil. My manual says and also from what I've read on the message boards is to keep the drive belts tight. I'd call SFI and just visit with them (they're pretty knowlegdeable on most drum mowers) even thought you didn't buy from them they might be able to give some tips on mantenance. bjr

/ PZ drum mower oil level #3  
Hi,
Kuhn PZ170 here, just checked the manual, translating to english:

-remove all top cover bolts on main chassis
-remove top cover
-grease should be level with bottom of horizontal drive shaft, top up if it isn't
-clean off old gasket remains from cover/chassis
-apply new gasket/sealant
-replace cover and torque bolts to 75Nm

Somewhat confusingly and in a separate section:
-Grease type specced as "Multi usage" 00/000 EP
-Oil is NLGI2, K2k conforming to DIN51825

Hopefully that helps somewhat!

Edit: Just to confirm, manual does state the gearbox is filled with grease. No idea if that's what's actually in there though!?

/ PZ drum mower oil level
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have any type of filler on top like yours, bjr. Aside from pulling off the top like you are saying, Mich, it's only got a plug on the end. Which I assume is a drain plug. So I guess I'll be pulling off the top. Did it say if there's a gasket and a part#? Or just to replace with gasket maker, once I pull that cover off? I'm pretty certain that if there is, mine is gonna tear when I remove it. I was able to decipher in that manual, that it calls for like a 140w oil, which isn't that far off from grease, I'd think!

/ PZ drum mower oil level #5  
Nope, no mention of part numbers, definitely sound like it calls for gasket maker. They obviously expect it not to be reusable as they explicitly state to remove "whats left of it"...
Interesting on the 140w. Would be curious what you find in there now!

/ PZ drum mower oil level #6  
I have sold over 4000 of those PZ designed mowers. The Gearbox is designed for EP-0 grease. If you use gea roil another type of breather must be used or you will ruin the seals and the sealed bearings if it is not changed. If you have oil in it it is best to drain the oil out and put 2.5 quarts of EP-0 grease in the top box.

/ PZ drum mower oil level
Thank goodness that you said something, haydr! I'm going out there tomorrow morning to service all the equipment, to start cutting Thursday. I don't know what's in it right now, but I'll be sure to go back with that correct grease. There's currently nothing broken on it, but just in case... Do y'all still stock parts for this machine?