New Holland 451

/ New Holland 451 #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I've had this sickle mower for couple of years and had a dickens of a time getting it to fit on my M7040. Ended up making a spacer to move it away from the tractor further.....and it's working sorta ok. The issue is the special lift system this mower has for lifting the bar when you raise the 3pt. I do not like how that works at all. It does not lift the bar as high as I need it too, plus I broken the cable once...and now a portion of it came loose and broke again.

I'm considering putting a hydraulic cylinder on this mower. Where can I find some information on how to go about that?

/ New Holland 451 #2  
The sickle lift is adjustable. I have had one since 1991 and have been using one (my uncle's) since about 1978. They are fully adjustable, left/right, up/down, and lift on the sickle.

/ New Holland 451 #3  
I've had NO problems with my 451 and I've had it on several different tractors...

That lift system makes the mower a LOT easier to mount on a tractor, and for me, it works perfectly!

SR

/ New Holland 451
Not my experience. The 3pt lift mechanism causes interference ...big time...with back of tractor. I have build a setback that solves the problem, but it is a pita to get hooked up. I want to lift blade vertical to go around objects. I have to lower the 3pt to far down to get the bar to drop where I want it to. End up nearing dragging the mower. With hydraulics to lower the bar, I could lower bar without even dropping the 3pt down.

/ New Holland 451 #5  
Like I said, I've had mine on different tractors and it's worked perfectly on all of them, I didn't even have to adjust anything but the top link. Here's it is on my Deutz,

standard.jpg

SR

/ New Holland 451 #6  
I'll try to get some pics tonight. The A frame that mounts to the tractor is adjustable up and down as to how high the mower will set above the ground. The cable that raises and lowers the sickle is also adjustable and can be set for how much and how soon the sickle raises and lowers. If the mower sets too close to your tractor, then it seems that you either have the wrong lift arms or someone has put larger tires on.

/ New Holland 451
Like I said, I've had mine on different tractors and it's worked perfectly on all of them, I didn't even have to adjust anything but the top link. Here's it is on my Deutz,

standard.jpg

SR

Hmmmmmmmm

Here is portion of the manual on the 451. I had to do both of the things in bold...and it really needs double the amount of setback that I did. It works, but mower is lower than I like...and I cannot raise bar vertical to go around objects. BTW, I've got TopnTilt on this tractor.

/ New Holland 451 #8  
I have a Kubota m6800 and I had to cut 4" off the two arms as the manual mentioned. I believe my tractor is the earlier version of yours. Anyway, I used a portable bandsaw to cut through the steel. Before that, they hit the upper lift rods on my 3 point hitch. Made a nasty gouge before I got smart enough to figure out that I had to cut them. Afterwards, the mower fits pretty well although it is still possible for It to lodge underneath the adjustable crank upper on the right side of the hitch. I just spent 9 hours mowing with the 451 on Friday. Does a good job.

Good luck with your hydraulic retrofit.

/ New Holland 451
Lifting the bar vertical to get around obstacles is the issue. Have a pond I trim around...and have trees in many places. Have to swing way out because the bar won't raise high enough. Want to lift the bar to vertical.

And yes...I had to cut the bars down, lower the raising mechanism down, but also build a setback for hooking the lift mechanism to. I just envision this mower being completely different in function and how it hooks up without that 'extra' lift mechanism in there.