Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Tractor
    MF

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    I bought mine from Tractor Tools Direct (tractortoolsdirect.com) in Indiana and had to have it shipped here and I assembled it myself. It's a heavy machine and well made. Yes I am still positive about the Galfre 190 performance and this year was my third season with it.

    I'm about three and a half hours from you so if you want to see the 190 up close let me know. Contact Tractor Tools Direct and see what they have available. I think they have other brands available and they are the parts source for Galfre.
    I致e harvested my grass hay in the past with a very old slow JD 7 ft mower/conditioner that is now at the end of life. I like the speed and low maintenance of rotary cutting rather than a sickle bar. I would like to harvest my timothy earlier in June rather than July when it is over mature and the seed heads have gone. Therefore I need fast drying to take advantage of the shorter intervals of dry weather between thunderstorms in June. Even with only a 7 ft mower my wind rows needed to be turned for rapid full drying; that痴 why I think the 澱lack hole feature would be helpful. Spread it out for rapid dry and then rake for baling. Haymaking for me is more of a favor to provide good quality grass hay for my horses and for those of a few friends. Everyone around here seems to like multiple crops of irrigated alfalfa, which is too hot for horses that lead a life of leisure.

    Thanks for the offer of letting me see the Galfre, but the Italian factory rep sent me both the owner痴 and assembly manuals for the 190 so I think I have a good appreciation of how it is designed. Your feedback on the mower performance was helpful. Does the 澱lack hole feature spread the hay out evenly to your satisfaction?

    Also I was thinking the offset 3 pt mount of the mower would be beneficial to trim light brush and grass from the shoulders of my logging haul roads as well as those areas of canary grass that I do not harvest for hay.

    I looked on the tractortools direct webpage and they only list Ibex and Terra brands of drum mowers, but I'll give them an email.

  2. #12
    Elite Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Galfre Drum Mower Performance-mower-windrows-003-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTreeFarmer View Post
    I致e harvested my grass hay in the past with a very old slow JD 7 ft mower/conditioner that is now at the end of life. I like the speed and low maintenance of rotary cutting rather than a sickle bar. I would like to harvest my timothy earlier in June rather than July when it is over mature and the seed heads have gone. Therefore I need fast drying to take advantage of the shorter intervals of dry weather between thunderstorms in June. Even with only a 7 ft mower my wind rows needed to be turned for rapid full drying; that痴 why I think the 澱lack hole feature would be helpful. Spread it out for rapid dry and then rake for baling. Haymaking for me is more of a favor to provide good quality grass hay for my horses and for those of a few friends. Everyone around here seems to like multiple crops of irrigated alfalfa, which is too hot for horses that lead a life of leisure.

    Thanks for the offer of letting me see the Galfre, but the Italian factory rep sent me both the owner痴 and assembly manuals for the 190 so I think I have a good appreciation of how it is designed. Your feedback on the mower performance was helpful. Does the 澱lack hole feature spread the hay out evenly to your satisfaction?

    Also I was thinking the offset 3 pt mount of the mower would be beneficial to trim light brush and grass from the shoulders of my logging haul roads as well as those areas of canary grass that I do not harvest for hay.

    I looked on the tractortools direct webpage and they only list Ibex and Terra brands of drum mowers, but I'll give them an email.
    here's a picture of our windrows after mowing. I posted these in a thread back in2015.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member Texasmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,925
    Location
    N. Texas
    Tractor
    Ford '63 2000 and '65 3000; Branson '16 2400 and '07 6530C both with FELs. All tractors are Diesels

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Here's mine previously posted:

    The crop is Sorghum-Sudan Gotcha Plus. Mower is the Agrimaster 190 I bought from Small Farm Innovations many years ago. Today he has the 6 footer like mine, for $3875 as I recall. Even with this much crop to process, I still have a clean entrance into the uncut row so I don't have any holidays or over cut and on the other side, my tractor's tires aren't stomping on cut product. Also, note the square corner, no having to go back and clean up corners with a big X over the field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galfre Drum Mower Performance-img_0135-jpg   Galfre Drum Mower Performance-p1010151-jpg   Galfre Drum Mower Performance-p1010150-jpg  

  4. #14
    Advertiser
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    56
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Tractor
    TYM 254H and TYM 354H

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Jerry/MT, thanks for the insight and for sharing your experience with your 190. We have a used Galfre drum mower in stock at the moment, and we currently stock and sell Terra drum mowers from Italy. The Terra drum mowers have a conditioning system as well that works great. I will attach links to our website for reference. BobTreeFarmer, if you have any questions, feel free to pass them our way as we are happy to help.

    Tractor Tools Direct | Product Categories | Hay Mowers

    Tractor Tools Direct | TL67 Standard Drum Mowers by Galfre – USED
    Tractor Tools Direct, Inc
    260-BALE HAY (260-225-3429)
    tractortoolsdirect.com

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Tractor
    MF

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Quote Originally Posted by TractorToolsDirect View Post
    Jerry/MT, thanks for the insight and for sharing your experience with your 190. We have a used Galfre drum mower in stock at the moment, and we currently stock and sell Terra drum mowers from Italy. The Terra drum mowers have a conditioning system as well that works great. I will attach links to our website for reference. BobTreeFarmer, if you have any questions, feel free to pass them our way as we are happy to help.

    Tractor Tools Direct | Product Categories | Hay Mowers

    Tractor Tools Direct | TL67 Standard Drum Mowers by Galfre USED
    I was interested in the Galfre because of the black hole system which would spread rather than wind row my grass hay.

    Could you tell me why you chose to drop the Galfre line and pick up Terra, both Italian companies I believe....Bob

  6. #16
    Advertiser
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    56
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Tractor
    TYM 254H and TYM 354H

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Bob, great question. In a nutshell, Galfre had some internal setbacks causing some of the employees to break off into a new company. Along with these employees moving forward, they had improved on designs that hadn't made it to the end of Galfre production yet. These improvements to the machines also reflect the improvements to the internal workings of the company. Essentially Terra is the new and improved Glafre, in a few different ways. The Terra drum mowers have an updated and enhanced conditioning system that also spreads the hay rather than creating a windrow as most drum mowers will produce. The new Terra system works very well and makes more sense as a longevity improvement. The new system has tines that can be removed or replaced as needed.
    Tractor Tools Direct, Inc
    260-BALE HAY (260-225-3429)
    tractortoolsdirect.com

  7. #17
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,400
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Quote Originally Posted by TractorToolsDirect View Post
    Bob, great question. In a nutshell, Galfre had some internal setbacks causing some of the employees to break off into a new company. Along with these employees moving forward, they had improved on designs that hadn't made it to the end of Galfre production yet. These improvements to the machines also reflect the improvements to the internal workings of the company. Essentially Terra is the new and improved Glafre, in a few different ways. The Terra drum mowers have an updated and enhanced conditioning system that also spreads the hay rather than creating a windrow as most drum mowers will produce. The new Terra system works very well and makes more sense as a longevity improvement. The new system has tines that can be removed or replaced as needed.
    So, the white plastic pieces in this picture the are the conditioning tines?
    Galfre Drum Mower Performance-tl71-drum-mower-conditioner_terra_06_tractor-tools
    How well do they condition the hay compared to a roller conditioner (such as the one on our current hay mower, a NH 479)?

    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  8. #18
    Advertiser
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    56
    Location
    Terre Haute
    Tractor
    TYM 254H and TYM 354H

    Default Re: Galfre Drum Mower Performance

    Aczlan, that is correct. The white nylon pieces are in fact the conditioning tines. We have had great reviews and feedback from this design. They are durable and can be replaced unlike the Galfre design. You have the option of running the machine without them, and they truly work well. The difference is that this conditioning system due to its design, tends to impact and bend the materials being cut and then spreads the material out, all in one. Rather than other designs and models of conditioning systems. Other types being slightly more intensive, such as roller conditioners, or flail types etc.. Our design is similar to a flail type. With our system, it cuts, conditions, and fluffs by spreading out the bent and split materials. Feel free to contact us for more information and/or to help make the best decision for your operational needs. Thanks for the questions, and I hope this helps.
    Tractor Tools Direct, Inc
    260-BALE HAY (260-225-3429)
    tractortoolsdirect.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. drum mower
    By mlaj43 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM
  2. galfre drum mower in the midwest
    By mike56 in forum Haying
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 11:14 PM
  3. Drum Mower
    By skittery in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
  4. Drum mower?
    By ttowne66 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2018 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.