Haying small fields with a small tractor

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #11  
My wife and I have a few neighbors that are willing to let us hay their fields for free, and we would love to save the money and do it ourselves. The fields are about 5 acres. Would my 24hp 4x4 New Holland be up for the challenge, or should we wait a few years till we can afford a bigger tractor? I found a few good deals on small bailers, and would love to jump on one. I know it would be ideal to have about 35-40hp, but I figured it's worth asking.

Regards,

Chris
Since I have not seen much of the time and effort mentioned in the replies -
OP - Have you ever worked in or run a small bale hay operation in the area you plan on doing it? I'm not writing about taking 5 bales off a small field, I mean something bigger than what you are planning on doing.
I worked summers from about 1966 to 1969 and a large part of that was haying in Vermont. Definitely a muscle-building job. I could not imagine haying down here in Mississippi when both the heat and humidity approach 100. But a relative does, with a 100HP plus tractor w/ A/C, big round bales, plus hired help.

What are your wrenching skills? Will you be able to maintain and improve used equipment?

If you have NOT hayed I suggest you hire yourself out for a week for the experience.

<snip> Now, if you ever go and "try to sell" any hay be sure to have a answer for the folks that want to know if "is it horse hay?" I'm not selling hay anymore. bjr
Response:"No it's not hay made from horses, it's hay made from timothy and clover"

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #12  
And another few grand for a trailer.

Ya, I forgot that one. I have a sixteen foot car hauler but it's not rated high enough for my tractor with the loader on.

CDennyrun,
Here's the reason I got into this. One, I had the land, but mainly and I'll try to be brief.
I have a very good high paying job, but at the end of the day there is no rewarding feeling from my job. When I plant and do all that is needed to grow hay, alfalfa, oats whatever.... there is a good feeling about it. I'm excited to see it grow and watch the equipment harvest whatever I'm growing. So the cost of the equipment is justified in that alone. I knew before I started and discussed with my wife how we will never recover the money spent. However, I can't put on price on feeling good about what I'm doing. So if it's not going to break your bank...I say go for it. I have no regrets.
DSCN1999.JPG
This is the first bale I ever made from start to finish. It's an ugly little miss shaped bale, but it doesn't matter. It made me smile and I'm still smiling about it today. After figuring out the baler and speed and so on here are some other bales that look a lot better.
DSCN2041.JPGDSCN2045.JPGDSCN2047.JPG
Make the decision that best suits you and your needs, there are plenty of growers on here that can help you along the way.:)

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #13  
I run a sickle bar mower and an old dump rake and I mow and rake the hay and then a guy who runs around the country comes in and bales my few acres in 10-15 minutes. My little 28 hp 1710 has plenty of power for doing it this way. I get good hay if I time it right and I do not have to try to keep a baler running. I bought the mower for $300 and stuck another $100 into it. The dump rake was free so I do not have much into it. I have it in 4x5 round bales that I move with my pallet forks on my 3 pt.

Still it is not cost effective if I included my labor but I like it. I grew up mowing and raking hay and I love the sound of the sickle clatter and have shown many people how a dump rake works because thy had never seen one run.

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #14  
I grow and hay 10 acres of Orchard grass. Bought a complete set of hay equipment (NH 310 baler, NH 477 haybine, NH 256 rake, 2 basket tedder, & wagon) from from a guy leaving the hay business. Spent $7000. Use my Deere 45 Hp tractor . After fuel, herbicide, parts, lime, fertilizer ....

I don't make any profit. :duh: I grow hay and harvest tax deductions & exemptions.

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #15  
Cat fever.
That is IMHO the only reason to do small scale hay if you can get out of it.

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor
Thank you everyone for all the responses! You guys are great. I expected to get laughed at. Ha ha. Your insight is very much appreciated!!!

I've worked in many hay fields as the grunt, worked at a feed store for a few years, and every year my wife and I move/stack about 250 bails for the year. As far as my wrenching skills go, fortunately it's what I do for a living (millwright). I have a lot of experience in engineering and fabricating from my 14 awesome years in the mechanical industry. I've never done any troubleshooting on a baler, however I think it would be a lot of fun figuring them out!

I'll definitely look into the baler with a motor. I've never seen one, so thanks for bringing that up! The mini baler might be a good option too.

Again, thank you all very much for the help. If I could buy you all a beer, I would!

Regards,

Chris

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #17  
Just remember that when you work on the knoter that if one side is working compare it to the side that is not. That has saved me many times. Ed

Thanks for the tip Ed!

/ Haying small fields with a small tractor #19  
Thank you everyone for all the responses! You guys are great. I expected to get laughed at. Ha ha. Your insight is very much appreciated!!!

I've worked in many hay fields as the grunt, worked at a feed store for a few years, and every year my wife and I move/stack about 250 bails for the year. As far as my wrenching skills go, fortunately it's what I do for a living (millwright). I have a lot of experience in engineering and fabricating from my 14 awesome years in the mechanical industry. I've never done any troubleshooting on a baler, however I think it would be a lot of fun figuring them out!

I'll definitely look into the baler with a motor. I've never seen one, so thanks for bringing that up! The mini baler might be a good option too.

Again, thank you all very much for the help. If I could buy you all a beer, I would!

Regards,

Chris

I think this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but transporting your baler on public roads may turn out to be your biggest problem (assuming the fields you're baling are not together). The normal small square balers are pretty wide (8-9 ft) and even with a swing hitch on the baler to center the hitch tongue, you still have to be careful. When I bought my Massey Ferguson 124 baler about 8 years ago, the Seller was about 30 miles from my place. I towed it home behind my F150 on the back roads at slow speed (~25 mph) being careful not to drop the right baler wheel in the ditch.

Good luck.

I think this has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but transporting your baler on public roads may turn out to be your biggest problem (assuming the fields you're baling are not together). The normal small square balers are pretty wide (8-9 ft) and even with a swing hitch on the baler to center the hitch tongue, you still have to be careful. When I bought my Massey Ferguson 124 baler about 8 years ago, the Seller was about 30 miles from my place. I towed it home behind my F150 on the back roads at slow speed (~25 mph) being careful not to drop the right baler wheel in the ditch.

Good luck.

Yup, they take up the whole lane. Around here you find a lot more downed mail boxes this time of year!