Brown top millet for hay?

/ Brown top millet for hay? #1  

LukeD

Bronze Member
Tractor
'69 John Deere 3020
I run a small square baling business, and I had someone ask me to cut and bale about 10 acres of millet. They want to do it on a 1/4 (they load it and stack it in my barn and I keep 3/4 of it. Does anyone typically use millet as hay? From my research, there's a test that one can do to make sure that it doesn't have a toxic level of nitrogen. But aside from that, is it any good? Is it worth me fooling with? I'd be feeding it to cows and possibly selling some of it

/ Brown top millet for hay? #2  
It has been several years since I've seen any (20+) but if I remember right it was good hay, just not as productive tonnage wise as some of the other like the sudangrasses. Need to cut before seeds develop fully for best quality, but for cow hay, no real issues. Nitrates were usually not a problem unless a lot of chicken litter or N fert applied.

/ Brown top millet for hay? #3  
Last edited:
   / Brown top millet for hay?
Well I cut and baled most of the millet while it was still nice and green. But I've got a small piece that I'll be baling tomorrow, and it was pretty dry when I cut it. My animals LOVED the millet. Looks like I might have a new market. I sold everything that I stored in less than a week.

/ Brown top millet for hay? #5  
I cut a small patch and baled it this year. I had it tested and it was 10% protein and 48TDN , its pretty hay but value is no better than Bahia

/ Brown top millet for hay? #6  
I have an friend that loves to put up millet for his mules. He thinks it is a good quality hay for his draft animals. They eat the stalk and seed heads.

/ Brown top millet for hay? #7  
Don't know about Brown Top. Foxtail is wild here, sorry hay, quasi for pasture if green. Tried Pearl a couple of years ago and no go. So I went back to good old GMO Sorghum-Sudan.....

Attachments

• P1010149.JPG
    P1010149.JPG
    666.4 KB · Views: 2,292