Haying quandries

/ Haying quandries #11  
Most important phase?
Figuring the Cost per Profit or Cost per Benefit ratio before even starting.

/ Haying quandries #12  
I think so much of it depends on why your are doing hay and on what scale.

I honestly had no idea haying was so difficult until people on this forum told me it was!!!

To clarify, I only do hay for my cows and my dad's cows. My entry cost was pretty small - I already had my DK 45, so I bought an old New Idea roller ($3800), a NH 256 rake ($600) and John Deere 24T baler ($900) and Kuhn GMD500 disc mower (traded two calves for it).

I only cut, rake, bale - no tedding. However, I only do 250-350 rolls and a 500-1000 squares per year, so as far as the hay business goes, I'm pretty small time. However, if I was looking to produce high-quality hay for a different market (I'm thinking horses), there would be a lot more involved and a lot more in play.

When I cut hay and it gets rained on, I wait until it dries and roll it. I have yet to receive a complaint from the cows.....

Good luck and take care.

That is true if you know how, but coming to it new is another animal altogether. Ed

/ Haying quandries #13  
Absolutely - if someone has never fooled with hay at all, it could be a daunting challenge. Then again, if I can make hay, anybody can make hay.

I had never baled hay myself until three years ago. In fairness, I've been around it all of my life, but I had never baled a bale until then.

My basic steps are to drag the equipment out in the spring (late April or early May) and get everything checked out, lubed, cleaned, etc. Look at the forecast for when it looks like it will be dry for three days in a row and then cut in the evening when I get home from work. Wait two days and rake and roll (Ha-ha - rake-n-roll, get it?). I more or less repeat as often as needed.

If it looks like it will be dry for more than three days, I may cut two or three days in a row, and then rake/bale. Most of the time, though, I don't like to cut too much at any given time in case the weather changes or I have mechanical troubles. After all, sooner or later, everything is going to break.

Certainly, if I was doing it for a living or as a cash crop, I might get a little for worked up and anxious about it - but not for what I'm doing now.

Good luck and take care.

/ Haying quandries #14  
I've been apart of making hay for the last 25 years except for my time in the Navy. Last year my dad asked me run the square baler for a while because for the first time I wasn't needed on the trailer stacking. I realized that it was the first time I'd ever run a square baler. There is always something new to learn.