Hay rakes

/ Hay rakes #11  
Except with my 14 wheel rake covering three 9 ft swaths I make less passes as I gain a round every 2 rounds that rake/baler make.

I meant pass for pass with rake and baler. Rake doesn't have to do double time. Thanks for the clarification.
If you set your windrows on the cutter tight enough you can do that with a 10 wheel and 9' cutter. Our only problem with doing that in the spring is the windrows are to large to go in the baler. So we move over and go for 2 cutter passes and spread the cutter wider.

/ Hay rakes #12  
I meant pass for pass with rake and baler. Rake doesn't have to do double time. Thanks for the clarification.
If you set your windrows on the cutter tight enough you can do that with a 10 wheel and 9' cutter. Our only problem with doing that in the spring is the windrows are to large to go in the baler. So we move over and go for 2 cutter passes and spread the cutter wider.

I meant pass for pass no double time for rake. In one round with rake it gathers in 27+' of hay then rd baler follows rake baling 27+' of hay. There's been a yr or 2 when I've received sufficient rain I couldn't rake 3 swaths o just move hyd lever in tractor and rake 2 swaths. In '07 there were a few fields that made 6 to 8 rd bales per acre and I could only rake one 9' ft swath and get it choked into baler. In the last few yrs where I live droughts have taken it's toll on Coastal hay production.

/ Hay rakes #13  
You might also consider a belt rake. Makes the fluffy windrow like a rotary, but less expensive and more durable. Plus it takes up a lot less space in the barn and can double as a tedder, which none of the others will do. In Florida you might not be able to justify a separate tedder, but it is awful handy if you get rained on.

/ Hay rakes #14  
Here's a great writeup:

Plant and Soil Sciences eLibrary:: Print Lesson

I've been looking into this myself. I only have 80 acres so I think I'll just get a basic wheel rake to merge two windrows into one. It cuts down the drying and baling time. The main setback with wheel rakes is that they can be hard to manage if you have hilly land and put more ash in your hay but they're the most economical choice.

/ Hay rakes #15  
   / Hay rakes #16  
What's wrong with the sitrex? I don't have that brand but it's a lot like your and it works great. I would love to have a 10 or even a 12 wheel.

/ Hay rakes #17  
What's wrong with the sitrex? I don't have that brand but it's a lot like your and it works great. I would love to have a 10 or even a 12 wheel.
Just found your question.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Sitrex, or other wheel rake.
That JD 700 rake just will handle more hay, rake a wider width, and do it quicker. It's also adjustable in width and rake speed with just a touch to the hydraulic controls.
I just can't justify the cost of the JD (or Vermeer). I could buy a half dozen (or more) wheel rakes for what it costs.

/ Hay rakes #18  
The wheel rake has one big advantage and that is it can be pulled with about anything from a Farmall Cub to a UTV, or a jeep. The wheels are about the only major moving parts, so you can't get much simpler.

/ Hay rakes #19  
Just found your question.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Sitrex, or other wheel rake.
That JD 700 rake just will handle more hay, rake a wider width, and do it quicker. It's also adjustable in width and rake speed with just a touch to the hydraulic controls.
I just can't justify the cost of the JD (or Vermeer). I could buy a half dozen (or more) wheel rakes for what it costs.

I owned a Vermeer R23(same as a JD 700) back in the 90's and I wouldn't trade my H&S Hi-cap wheel rake for a new R23. I can change raking width from tractor seat. Changing raking width or closing/opening R23 rake to go through a narrow gate was a real PITA and I don't need ""gloves"" to disconnect the hot hyd hoses.

/ Hay rakes #20  
I owned a Vermeer R23(same as a JD 700) back in the 90's and I wouldn't trade my H&S Hi-cap wheel rake for a new R23. I can change raking width from tractor seat. Changing raking width or closing/opening R23 rake to go through a narrow gate was a real PITA and I don't need ""gloves"" to disconnect the hot hyd hoses.
I hear you.
There's not really any "perfect" rakes. All have their advantages and disadvantages.