Kuhn with tedder or Galfre

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I have two choices to make

I can but a limited use Kuhn 170 drum mower for $3800 and a used Kuhn GF 222T tedder for $2600,
or
New Galfre 170 with black hole conditioner for about $5425 delivered
or
Just the Kuhn for 3900 and rent the tedder if available and if needed, or buy one next year.

Kuhn is belt drive, Galfre is shaft drive

Thoughts, and please dont hold back.

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre
49 reviews and no opinions. I can really use you help on this. Currently leaning to just get the Kuhn
Thanks

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #3  
Shaft might be better, i have a ccm 165 which is belt drive. It works just fine, my only suggestion is which dealer is closer, that is 90% of what i make my decision based on. If its a hundred miles to the dealer if i need blades, belts etc, that would suck.

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #4  
I have two choices to make

I can but a limited use Kuhn 170 drum mower for $3800 and a used Kuhn GF 222T tedder for $2600,
or
New Galfre 170 with black hole conditioner for about $5425 delivered

or
Just the Kuhn for 3900 and rent the tedder if available and if needed, or buy one next year.

Kuhn is belt drive, Galfre is shaft drive

Thoughts, and please dont hold back.

Keith,

If you buy the Galfre, it's one operation and the grass is mowed and requires no tedding because of the "black hole conditioner". If you buy the Kuhn and a tedder that's two separate operations over the field one to cut and one to ted, plus you have another machine to maintain. Since time is of the essence when making hay, it seems like a no brainer to me. Get the Galfre.and make one pass. The only consumables are the blades and they are easy to get by phone or over the web. With the belt drive Kuhn, you have belts and blades. The cost is basically a wash

But then I might be considered biased because I have a Galfre 190...

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #5  
I'd be buying the Kuhn, at least here, you still need a tedder to dry hay in a timely manner.

Kuhn will be around for years, can still get parts for an early 80's GF22N; Galfre, never heard of them.

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #6  
Tedder is handy to have. Sometimes thick hay needs a couple of passes. If it gets rained on you can still Tedder it with a chance to salvage it.
I'd rather slip or replace a belt than fix or replace a shaft
Kuhn is better known out this way

You folks have made some good points. Decision Saturday when I go to arm wrestle with the dealer I will know. Having a parts source and service 12 miles down the road does add a + to the equation.

Thanks
Keith

PS: Sometimes old school can really be the best way.

More later

Well I have my name on the list (First in line) for the tedder and PZ 170 mower. Mower has been used 8 times, blades still sharp, and 98% of paint still on the drum. Both pieces are being pulled and will be fully serviced. I made one condition on purchase and that was for me to bring my tractor and see how it fits first. Tedder for sure though. It was used 3 times this year. Not a scratch or dent on either of them. The second PZ did not fare so well. Looks like it hit something as a lot more wear on the drum and blades.

I went this direction as I know sooner or later, no matter what I get I will need the tedder. Weather forecasting here is wait 5 minutes and it will change.

Pictures to follow next week. So folks know as I file a schedule F my guess on the write off it will cost me 1K for both, or I can send the money to .....well I'll be polite and not mention whom.

Now I am one step closer to having the good set up I have been after these 4 years. Next year the Rake.

If it works I will have a 9' IH 1300 sickle mower with Rowse hydraulics lift set up to part with (Spare knife bar and new knives included) It's also set up for bolted sections.

/ Kuhn with tedder or Galfre #9  
You haven't mentioned a disk mower. Any reason?

Don't have the HP to run it, otherwisw I would be looking. Also no used in my area. I am at 26.5 PTO. There are a few out there, but pretty small in size. Dealer keeps the Kuhn wear parts in stock