Anyone added a aftermarket/homemade net wrapper?

/ Anyone added a aftermarket/homemade net wrapper? #1  

rectifier

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deutz DX160, IH B-275, Z225 zero-turn
So after my first year trying out an old Deutz GP220 roller baler, I love the thing. Nice bales, robust machine, great pickup, but I have one complaint. She is a slooow tyer. I spend about as long tying each bale as I do picking up the hay. And as they are 500lb rounds, there is a lot of tying!

As a roller baler, there are obviously no belts, and there is a full width slot where the tying arm goes back and forth. It seems it would be easy to feed in net wrap, the trick would be detecting when it has wrapped and cutting the full width quickly. Has anyone ever built their own or purchased an add-on unit?

This would seriously double my production rate if it is possible.

/ Anyone added a aftermarket/homemade net wrapper? #2  
How much twine are you using? I know some guys that use A LOT of twine and it does take a long time no matter the baler. I hired someone to bale for me this year and he hardly used any twine. Surprisingly the bales held together fine, and are much faster to feed with less twine to remove.

/ Anyone added a aftermarket/homemade net wrapper?
Not very much twine compared to other balers I've used, and the bales hold together very well. The baler is set to about 50% of max, maybe a total of 10-15 wraps over the entire bale. When I decrease the twine from there the bales get fluffy and don't handle very well.

I just started feeding some of these bales a week ago to my ewe lambs and yeah, the less twine the better. So easy to cut off and pull out compared to last year's hardcore and heavily tied bales.

Trouble is the machine is a little outdated. It only has a single twine arm and also the bale speed is fairly low due to the nature of the roller baler. Trying the old trick of cranking up the PTO speed for tying just results in slip on the rollers, chafing the twine and ruining the bale.