Wheel rakes with irregular fields?

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
How well do wheel rakes work on irregular shaped fields? I'm considering a v rake but have heard they don't like turning to well, issues are dragging hay and bending frames. Basically they're designed for straight fields is what I have read but I've never seen any videos of the dragging hay issues in corners. I'm just not sure if a v rake would work well with my fields but didn't want to rule it out before asking others with experience.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #2  
I rake irregular shaped fields with my H&S Hi-cap wheel rake. It rakes corners but does tend to drag hay to some extent on corners that are 90°+.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #3  
People use v rakes in all kinds of crazy shaped fields here in SWVA. I've used mine in tiny fields that barely make 2 bales. (I try not to take those kinds of jobs, but that's another story.). We've had the same v rake for years and only replaced a few teeth here and there for a long time. Then it became cheaper and wiser to replace all the rake wheels with complete new ones.

Only seen the frames bent on two Kuhn rakes, not a design flaw more like distracted drivers hitting things.

What I like about a v rake is the ability to pick it up and back out or drive around obstacles, including tight corners.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #4  
I have very irregular fields and it makes for frustrating haying. Over the 37 years I have been here I have tried several options, going through 2 small wheel rakes and half a dozen parallel bar JD and NH rakes, both with a tricycle wheel and drawbar mounted with no third wheel.

For MY operation:

1. The 4 basket wheel rake is a joke. Only good thing I can say is that you can lift it up to get around an irregular corner without disturbing your wind row and put it back down. It isn't worth a hoot on stemmy hays like sorghum-sudans......fingers just bend back. On light material like bermuda/rye, if the wind is blowing it blows the product up against the wheels, causing it to stick to them and just makes one big mess. I have NO experience with V rakes and from Jim's inputs over the years, seems they work well for what he does.

2. The tricycle parallel bar, tricycle rakers (JD 600 series for a number), have proven to be the rake of choice for me. Drawbacks are no lifting (unless I get off the tractor and manually crank the lift) when you work an irregular corner, and rolling of the product if you make too many passes on the same wind row.

After some 20 years of a converted urbanite farming at farming, I heard about a tedder and for cutting and harvesting irregular fields. This implement has become an indispensable part of my operation, using the 2 basket currently. Sometimes in addition to tedding the cuttings during the curing process to eliminate "irregular corner lumping" and a more even curing, I will come back and whack a ww to scattter it and re-rake. The rolling of the material helps it to stay in place when the wind is blowing but hampers curing and makes for uneven bales when rolling, so it's an undesirable aspect.

Hope this gives you another point of view on the subject.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #5  
How well do wheel rakes work on irregular shaped fields? I'm considering a v rake but have heard they don't like turning to well, issues are dragging hay and bending frames. Basically they're designed for straight fields is what I have read but I've never seen any videos of the dragging hay issues in corners. I'm just not sure if a v rake would work well with my fields but didn't want to rule it out before asking others with experience.

I'm a rookie at this, having cut, raked and baled for the first time last year.( Our custom guy didn't want to fool with my small hayfield after about 5 years of haying for us.)

I have a Bush Hog 10 wheel V rake with hydraulic lift on each arm of the V. I cut the field "for the rake" so I don't make 90ー turns with the wheels down. I rake the "headlands" in straight lines and then rake the long runs and "blend" them into the headlands with an approximate 30ー turn. Works for me. Any spots I miss, I deal with during baling.

Like I say I'm a rookie and I'm still learning. Guys like Tx Jim have helped me a lot as have others.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields?
I have oval, triangle, square, rectangular and squiggly shaped fields with the smallest being 5 acres (triangular ). The triangular fields are the most challenging as getting them opened up the first couple rounds is a pain.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #7  
Triangles can be fun with about any rake. With out seeing what you are seeing it's hard to say for sure what would work best.

You can lift them just a little to make turns once you are out of the hay, this works especially well if the baler is not far behind the rake and you don't have to cross windrows.

I wish I was on my laptop and could make some crude drawing of different ways to handle tight corners.

Will you be following with a baler or raking everything and coming back later to bale?

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #8  
We have a side delivery rake and I run it from a hitch on the 3 point.
That way, when I need to "jump over" a windrow, I lift the 3 point and it lets me drive over the windrow without messing it up too badly.

Aaron Z

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #9  
We have a side delivery rake and I run it from a hitch on the 3 point.
That way, when I need to "jump over" a windrow, I lift the 3 point and it lets me drive over the windrow without messing it up too badly.

Aaron Z

I've worked with and know people who act as though you killed a man for even thinking about driving over a windrow. I'm not one of them.

/ Wheel rakes with irregular fields? #10  
I've worked with and know people who act as though you killed a man for even thinking about driving over a windrow. I'm not one of them.
I used to be pickier about it (and I still try not to do it if I can avoid it), but as long as the ground is dry and I need to get through, I will.

Aaron Z