Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons
CDennyRun
You can really learn to hate the Wisconsin engine on a sq baler if so equipped as they have a long history of being very difficult to restart if shut off at operating temp. Back when engine powered sq balers were more prevalent I've witnessed the engines sitting idling through lunch break for this very hard starting reason. Although not a SCUT or CUT I've sq baled hay with my JD BO with trans driven pto shaft that has only 14HP. No I wouldn't desire to do a large field but it baled about 5 acres of hay.

Thanks Tx Jim. I've heard that about those motors not liking hot starts. Typical ol' four stroke.. gota keep some ether handy! Just as a reference, what model JD and baler were you running? I plan to start with only baling the 2 acers I've secured down the road, and have been brush hogging. Hopefully I'll pick up another 4 or 5 acers from some other neighbors. That would be more than enough hay for our horses.

Chris

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #12  
Yep that's my hay video. Its only TBN for me.

Here I'm running my NH-479 9' mower conditioner with my 1070.
2:censored:813 2411 - YouTube

My yanmar was a 220D

Yep that's my hay video. Its only TBN for me.

Here I'm running my NH-479 9' mower conditioner with my 1070.
214813 2411 - YouTube

My yanmar was a 220D

Good vid. Must be nice to have rear remotes! I take it the Yanmar was 22 engine hp? Not much info for those things online. A friend of mine has one, but knows nothing about it. Great little work horses though.

Chris

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #14  
I use two rear emotes that are just extensions to the front loader disconnects. About 6' of hose, male and female couplers, times two. That's all I need for haying. Baler doesn't need it. Mower tongue swing and header lift takes a two way and a 1 way to make life easy. I use a 1 way for my NH 1012 stack wagon chute lifter.

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #15  
I've been looking around for a long time for a baler with the Wisconson motor, or NH 65 since my tractor is a little small to power a 14x16" baler. Most of the self powered balers I'm finding are wire, not twine, and are going for pretty cheap in "good working condition". NH 65's are almost impossible to find, so this leaves me with the self powered option. I know wire is a pain if left in the field, and gets caught in mowers, rakes, balers and whatever else. Wire also rusts.. but other than that, what's the big drawback? Any pros vs twine?

Any input would help. Thanks!

We used to put magnets down our cows when we used wire tied bales. There always broken bits of wire in the hay and the magnets collect it in the reticulum where the magnet ends up. They used to call it "hardware disease" and it can kill an otherwise healthy cow.

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #16  
We used to put magnets down our cows when we used wire tied bales. There always broken bits of wire in the hay and the magnets collect it in the reticulum where the magnet ends up. They used to call it "hardware disease" and it can kill an otherwise healthy cow.

What you state is true on the older JD balers built in the 40's-50's that had a knot on each end of the bale such as models 114W,116W & 214W which utilized twister gear boxes similar to photo in lieu of current style twister hooks. Note 2nd photo with double roller needles. My JD 347 wire sq baler doesn't leave any pieces of wire on bales to cause hardware disease.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    86.7 KB · Views: 678
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 662
   / Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #17  
I've been looking around for a long time for a baler with the Wisconson motor, or NH 65 since my tractor is a little small to power a 14x16" baler. Most of the self powered balers I'm finding are wire, not twine, and are going for pretty cheap in "good working condition". NH 65's are almost impossible to find, so this leaves me with the self powered option. I know wire is a pain if left in the field, and gets caught in mowers, rakes, balers and whatever else. Wire also rusts.. but other than that, what's the big drawback? Any pros vs twine?

Any input would help. Thanks!

Chris

I ran a Massey Ferguson 124 bailer (small squares, two twine) with my Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto). The operator manual says the minimum hp for the 124 is 33 hp (pto).

Balers this size have been operated successfully on the pto using much smaller tractors such as the Farmall Super A which has about 16 hp (pto).

Good luck finding a baler with an on-board engine. In 8 years of haying, I only found one such baler, a JD 14 with a Wisconsin engine. It was pretty beat up and the seller wouldn't budge on price so I walked.

Regarding wire vs twine. Customers with horses will not take wired bales fearing that small pieces of wire could be lodged in the bale and harm their animals.

Good luck

That's right.. we use to sell those magnets at the feed store I worked at. I totally forgot about that. It's bad news!

What you state is true on the older JD balers built in the 40's-50's that had a knot on each end of the bale such as models 114W,116W & 214W which utilized twister gear boxes similar to photo in lieu of current style twister hooks. Note 2nd photo with double roller needles. My JD 347 wire sq baler doesn't leave any pieces of wire on bales to cause hardware disease.

Thanks for the info TX!

I ran a Massey Ferguson 124 bailer (small squares, two twine) with my Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto). The operator manual says the minimum hp for the 124 is 33 hp (pto).

Balers this size have been operated successfully on the pto using much smaller tractors such as the Farmall Super A which has about 16 hp (pto).

Good luck finding a baler with an on-board engine. In 8 years of haying, I only found one such baler, a JD 14 with a Wisconsin engine. It was pretty beat up and the seller wouldn't budge on price so I walked.

Regarding wire vs twine. Customers with horses will not take wired bales fearing that small pieces of wire could be lodged in the bale and harm their animals.

Good luck

Once I pay this tractor off; I'll be making the leap to a Ford 3000 or 4000 as a haying rig, so this is temporary. At that point, I'd probably be glad if I didn't get a baler with a motor. How was that MF 124 baler for you? Pretty reliable?

Thanks,

Chris

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #19  
Never baled with wire . Would assume that a wire baler can be cranked down for heavier bales than twine ?

/ Wire Baler VS Twine Pros/Cons #20  
I run my new holland 68 baler with a Mahindra 3616 tractor that has 31 pto hp. I do not have any problems.
Just have to go slow and don't overload the baler. There's a lot of power stored in that flywheel when you get it moving.
Find you a old new holland or John Deere and get real familiar with it. You will be fine till your able to get a bigger tractor.

I usually bale with a 55 hp Kubota but if bad weather is coming I square bale with the Mahindra while my father in law bales rounds with the Kubota.