Looking at buying a new tedder...

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #1  

drdoolittle

Tractor
Mahindra 6000
After looking around at all the used equipment that seems to run between $1000 -$2500 for a two basket tedder, I'm considering purchasing a two basket tedder from Ranch Rite, their HT-10 product. It seems very basic, fairly easy to fix mechanically if something happens and parts are not easy to find, and it's $1750 new including shipping to me over here in Louisiana. I've got about 9 acres I'm looking to square bale - I've just been cutting it that last 2-3 years and would like to get something out of it for "pocket change"

Does anyone have any experience with the Ranch Rite products?

Thanks,
Eric

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #2  
Here's the link to Ranch Rite

Never heard of them, but that means nothing. The only tedder that I've ever used is Vermeer. I don't own one, but I've borrowed one several times, and that's the only brand that any of my neighbors have. You didn't say how many acres that you produce hay on, but I wouldn't even look at a 10' tedder. I bale 52 acres.

From where you are, it's just a short drive over to Tarver Sales at Folsom. They are a Fella dealer. Mr. Tarver has been in the business for a long time, and is very knowledgeable about hay equipment.

/ Looking at buying a new tedder...
I did drop by Tarver's the other day. They do not sell used equipment and my budget is not in line with new. As far the acreage - it's just 9 acres and I think the two basket would be fine based on the haying done around me. I can borrow a tedder, but the biggest issue with that is when the weather's good for haying, it's good for haying for my neighbors as well... :laughing:

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #4  
I did drop by Tarver's the other day. They do not sell used equipment and my budget is not in line with new. As far the acreage - it's just 9 acres and I think the two basket would be fine based on the haying done around me. I can borrow a tedder, but the biggest issue with that is when the weather's good for haying, it's good for haying for my neighbors as well... :laughing:

Understand

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #5  
The Ranch Rite tedder is a Chinese copy of a Sitrex.

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #6  
I don't Ted much at all. I run the NH wide / thin kit on my NH discbine and that has eliminated 90% of my Tedding. My Kuhn rotary rake converts to Tedding if I need to, rarely.

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #7  
The Ranch Rite tedder is a Chinese copy of a Sitrex.

I'm shopping for a tedder, and I'd like to know what you think. (and other opinions as well)

Is the Ranch-Rite a GOOD Chinese copy of the Sitrex, or should I stay away and pay another $1000+ for the Sitrex?

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #8  
Seems like every time I have gone the way of saving a buck (regarding equipment), I end up with more down time and repairs. That's including new Chinese equipment. Eventually I spend the money on the better equipment, and a few years later look back and say why didn't i do that in the first place. Buddy of mine once said," it doesn't cost that much more to go first class."
My 2 cents.

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #9  
Seems like every time I have gone the way of saving a buck (regarding equipment), I end up with more down time and repairs. That's including new Chinese equipment. Eventually I spend the money on the better equipment, and a few years later look back and say why didn't i do that in the first place. Buddy of mine once said," it doesn't cost that much more to go first class."
My 2 cents.
Birddog,
Thanks for reminding me of that.

I have to keep reminding myself of a principal that I figured out long ago:
Buy the best that you can afford, and keep it a long time. That beats saving a few bucks up front and regretting it later.

/ Looking at buying a new tedder... #10  
I can't imagine a knockoff of a Sitrex being very appealing. Tedders don't come much lighter or cheaper than Sitrex. Getting parts for a Chinese tedder is probably a lot like getting parts for Chinese tractors.