Tedder question

/ Tedder question #1  

ronchp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3616
I picked up a used tedder, Walton WT-8, last week. No manual of course. I greased the grease points and replaced one broken finger. Thinking I need to check oil in the gearbox, because it was caked with oil and grime so I wonder if some is leaking out. Once I cleaned it off, I could not find any fill or drain plugs, but only what appears to be a very dirty sight glass in the back center of gearbox. Do I need to pull out this to check the oil and if so, do you fill it to the bottom of sight glass? Is there a gasket or O-ring that I need to replace? Does it take normal 90 at gear oil or something else? Thanks for any insight.

/ Tedder question #2  
Hey ! I have a Walton WT-8 too ... I looked at mine. Yes you unscrew the sight glass to drain & fill. To drain just tilt the unit. Fill tilt it down, but don't over fill it. You'll want the oil in middle of the sight glass with the box level.

Where did you get a replacement tine ? Did you grind the new tine level with the rest of them ?

/ Tedder question
Thanks for the info. I bought a new tine at a small shop here in Johnson City called Carter and Carter Machinery. They deal primarily with hay equipment. I checked the new tine compared to the others and it looked about same length and angle so I installed it as is. I have used it on about 11 acres so far this year and works pretty good.