First year hay field management and thistle

/ First year hay field management and thistle #11  
We used to add some crop oil to help cut the wax on the thistle leaves which help with the absorption of the chemical. I don't recall how much oil per gallon though.

Last time I used 2-4D it was mixed for a quart per acre application rate. May have to check what is recommended in your area.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #12  
You need several factors to figure out how much per gallon to mix. Ground speed, number of nozzles spraying, nozzle output etc. this allows you to calculate how much you are spraying per acre. 2,4 D is applied by the acre. As others said hot dry weather is not a good time to apply. Plants take in moisture late in evening, through the nite and early morning. Think of time of day to water your lawn (if you do that). When plants are absorbing moisture then chemicals will be taken in also.
No expert just my 2 cents. Good luck

/ First year hay field management and thistle #13  
The addition of surfactant will also help absorption/application It's sold usually in same isle as Gly4 or 2,4 D Some will add liquid soap to help In place of surfactant. Above all else be careful with all chemicals and follow personal protection recommendations. The long term and short term effects are real. 2,4 D was one of the ingredients in agent orange.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #14  
The long term and short term effects are real. 2,4 D was one of the ingredients in agent orange. birddog0304

very good point, sure wouldn't want an over spray to a close by garden area

/ First year hay field management and thistle #15  
If those are the large thistles like we have here in the east that get up to 6-7' tall and sometimes multiple heads, about all you are going to be able to do is forget the grass for a couple years and mow and spray the field. Our thistles even when cut will bloom about 3" off the ground so mowing is not that effective especially if they already have a head. If you cut those thistle now, they will still seed. I have about 25 acres of field and the thistle got hold when someone brought in bales of hay for cattle and it had thistle in it. I found the most effective method for me because they were all in the same place was to dig them up when they bloom like your picture, put them in the tractor bucket and take them somewhere, pour diesel on them and burn them, but I could do mine in less than a day. The good thing is they are very easy to dig, there's not much root, unless you have a whole field of them which it appears you do. As I said, you may be best to forget the grass for a couple years and work on getting rid of the thistle which may take 2-3 years of mowing 3 times a year and spraying. Mowing will keep them from spreading, but not get rid of them. I've had good luck with some stuff called Crossbow. Your local county agent should be able to help, no one in your community will wan those things spreading. I've seen fields here full of our thistle and they're gone in a few year from spraying. Good luck.

Believe it or not, mowing 3 times a year will not hurt the grass. It will also keep the other weeds from seeding and in 2 years you won't believe how much better your field will look, it will be full of grass instead of weeds.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #16  
I do spot applications of Pasture Pro (I use a gallon sprayer and ride an ATV)- it is a 2,4-D based product and works well on the thistles but as others said, you are too late for that now. Better start cutting the heads off and collecting them asap.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #17  
I'm not sure cutting the heads off will accomplish much than creating a lot of work. I've seen large fields that have been controlled with mostly mowing. The seeds will last in the ground past your lifetime. All you have to do is go in a good field and turn over the soil, the thistles will be up the next rain. The best way to control thistle is to have healthy grass or cover crop. The thistle won't germinate with a good cover. Again talk to your local county agent, he will know how to handle it.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #18  
At the stage they are at, its too late to spray. Cut the seed heads NOW!!!!!!!! Wear heavy gloves and put the heads/p;ants is a plastic bag as you work. Its a royal pain, but it must be done. If you have a local Scout troop, you could hire them to dig each plant (best solution). Again this should be done now as even with spraying they will seed out before they die. Next year after the field starts growing spray - I use Spectra-side - its a fortified 2/4/d. Check with you local COOP or local NCRS folks.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #19  
Many thistle species are perennials and spread by seed and underground lateral roots, so spraying will work better than digging. Their root systems usually go really deep and getting all of it is very difficult. Definitely cut the blooming plants and dispose of them, they can bloom and go to seed even as they are dying from being sprayed.
Sometimes I think that thistle is one of the cockroaches of the plant world.

/ First year hay field management and thistle #20  
Well, I had very good luck just digging them up, putting the plants in the front end loader and burning the plants, seed heads and all. But my field was not that thick with them, I only had them where someone left round bales that had the thistle seeds in them. But too, if I disturb the turf anywhere, the thistles come up, I'm always fighting them especially around the fence next to the woods.