Problem with International 430 Knotter

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #1  

Retired10

Tractor
Case/International 885
Own an International 430(Late 60's model) Have owned it for about 25 years now and no real problem. At the end of second cutting last year, bales began breaking. I bought a different brand of string this year and things were better. Now about every 8-10 bales, the left side knotter is not tieing. I cleaned and re-oiled everything. I had done this before starting for the season. Can't find anything in my owener's manuel to help. Suggestions?? I only do about a 1000 bales a year, for our horses and a bit to sell, so I really don't want to invest a fortune in another baler. No one in our area works on these anymore. :confused:

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #2  
what do you mean by 'not tieing' --- is the knot loose? Is the knot stuck on the bilhook? Any context information you can share will guide replies.

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter
what do you mean by 'not tieing' --- is the knot loose? Is the knot stuck on the bilhook? Any context information you can share will guide replies.

It ties the knot, then proceeds down the chute to the kicker. When the kicker throws it into the wagon, that is when the knot comes undone.

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #4  
Check twine pull out tension from twine box (10 lbs) and twine disk holding tension (also 10 lbs).

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #5  
I had a similar situation on my IH47 (Similar knotters), and it turned out the left side knife was bent inward towards the twine disc, leaving very little pigtail in the knot. One out of every 25 bales would be fine, but every once in a while I'd go to pick one up and it would blow open.

Chris

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #6  
we really need a pic of a completed knot and also a pic of the ends of a failed knot to sort this. but as mentioned check string tension first as it affects the tail length. too short a tail is low tension and this will cause the knot to pull out.

/ Problem with International 430 Knotter #7  
I have the same baler and same problem