Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price?

/ Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
A friend of my wifes is selling a New Holland 68, $700 OBO. They're not experts on this type of stuff but say they used it last year without a problem. I'm looking to bale 3 acres now, maybe up to 15 someday... Are these still worthwhile to use? I'd be pulling it with a diesel 40hp Ford 3600, and I might get a slightly bigger 50hp diesel this year.

I also don't know anything about balers but I do my own repairs on everything else and can read a manual.

/ Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #2  
Good reliable baler, give them 400-500 and you will have a fair price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

/ Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #3  
Reliable baler made in the late 1950's and there are tons of them out there so used parts are plentiful. New parts still available from NH as well. Model 67 is same baler as 68. Model 67 has short tongue with 2 u-joint shaft. Model 68 has longer tongue and 3 u-joint shaft.

The 68 still uses wood for the plunger glide bearings. Wood lasts a long time and you can make new wood glides yourself when needed for dirt cheap. Only downside to wood is it takes a few more hp to run and if baler is stored outside it can swell. You in good shape on tractor hp so not really an issue for you.

Any NH model #69 to #273 (skip the 77 albatross) would have rollers on the plunger instead of wood glides so slightly more modern in that regard but not really any more capacity. Any of these models would work well for small outfit and a small tractor like you have. Rollers on the plunger are more modern but cost like $40 a piece to replace when due and there is like a dozen of them on there so it can get pricey real quick.

If you like to make as many parts as you can then the 68 would be an ideal baler to own. If you prefer the most modern baler for your dollar spent then go 69-273 (skip the 77) would be good choices too.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will not make any money on haying 3 acres if making money is the goal. I have seen NH model 68's sell anywhere from $400 to $1500 and condition is paramount as to price. I have a Super 68 that I bought reasonable as a back up machine. I have never used it and a part of me hopes I never have to use it because that means my primary machine (NH 65 compact baler) broke down.

Last edited:
   / Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #4  
For $700, you can't go too wrong. If it completely falls apart, you can probably get a couple hundred in straight scrap or parting it out. I'm kind of in the same boat and 3 years ago I bought a John Deere 24T baler for doing some squares. Like you, I hadn't ever used a square baler before, but have tools and can read a manual. Yes, the knotters are picky, but mine seem to work okay as long as they're clean and lubed (just enough, not too much).

I've ended up square baling way more than I ever anticipated, especially the first year I had it. I had planned on only doing a couple hundred per year (just for me and my dad) and have ended up doing about 800-1000 each year and selling some it. I've made my money back on my investment ($600 was what mine cost) and I use my 45 hp Kioti tractor with no issue.

I say give it try. Good luck and take care.

/ Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #6  
Condition matters when it comes to price. Let me add that I have never seen a NH baler put up a bad baler if tinkered with a little bit. That's an old baler and will need some TLC but parts are everywhere and you can fix most everything with hand tools. You could always drag it to a dealer for a quick look to tell you of obvious issues so you could better assess what to pay. Don't overpay if it needs work.

/ Should I bother with a New Holland 68? Price? #7  
If your hay is 'good' then you will be able to find a market for it or use it yourself. The way to use the equippment is a farm business and use creative deductions with the guidance of a tax accountant.

Where outside A2 are you? I'm in Brighton and have been loosing money in the hay business for over 25 years.