NH 469 Haybine clogging

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #1  

nckennedy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5425
Hi folks,
I have been using the NH 469 for about three years on a couple of small hay fields. Works ok, accept when it gets clogged up on the far end (standing hay side) of the machine. It is clogging between the lower rubber cylinder and the support bar that runs the full length of the machine. It is not clogging between the two rubber cylinders, which doesn't make sense to me.
Cannot figure out why it is clogging up under or behind the lower cylinder. If I do not notice it right away and keep moving, it will clog up across the whole length of the machine. The only way to clear it is to pry up the cylinders with a bar or two by four to release the spring pressure, then I can pull it out, but still a big job requiring two people sometimes.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Seems to be working ok otherwise.
Thanks,
Craig

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #2  
First guess would be loose belt or need to run at higher RPM's/or slow down.

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #3  
I had a similar problem. If you catch it early you can often get it to clear by raising the cutter head while the PTO is running. I recall my problem usually came about if there was a bad tooth on the cutter bar, or if a rock guard wasn't in good condition. Slowing down and running at recommended PTO speed helped too. Another joy was that my mower was no child (What 469 is ?) and had some spot on the sheet metal where hay could get stuck and become another contributor to the mess.
Are all the teeth on the reel OK ?
Good luck and keep your pocket knife sharp.

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging
Ok I can check on the tooth and rock guard easily. There is a couple of tines missing on that real on that side, which I was thinking about. Another guy had some missing also, but didn't seem to effect his machine as it does mine.
Thanks for the ideas, appreciate it.
Craig

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #5  
Couple of things:

Make sure you have the correct knife on the very end. It should be a double toothed one instead of a single.

Close down the clearance on the guards in that area. Just use a hammer to pound down the top lip. If there is a lot of wear, replace them.

The reel speed should be adjusted so that the teeth run faster than ground speed. Its an easy adjustment on the reel drive pulley.

You need all the reel teeth to be there. They sweep the cut hay into the rolls.

Check the clearance between the end of the reel teeth to the cutter bar. Lower it if the clearance is out of spec.

Set the header down on a known flat surface. The cutterbar should be level and flat. If not, the plugging end may be digging into the earth. That brings up cutterbar height. Set the skid shoes to a reasonable height. Are they both set the same ?

I blow out all the crap from this area on my 479 after each use with a leaf blower. Hay, mud, stones, and weeds can get stuck on the cutterbar shelf and that impedes the flow of cut hay. If the shelf is all rotted out, cut hay is getting stalled at the rust holes. Duct tape as needed...

Ok, thanks for sharing somethings to check out.
Appreciate it.
Craig

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #7  
On my 489, I had to adjust the reel further back so the teeth will deliver the hay closer to the rolls. I'm not sure about the 469, but on the 489 you can also adjust the angle of the teeth.

Ok, I can check that out also. Maybe some play in it. Its an old worn machine.
Craig

/ NH 469 Haybine clogging #9  
In really fine hay or in especially heavy hay can give you fits as well. Adjusting the reel both speed and height would be my first steps.