New Hayer Need advice...

/ New Hayer Need advice... #1  

clinton1971

Tractor
mihindra 6010
Hi, I am new to the forum but have lurked in the shadows for a while now.

I just sold my very small cow heard and am looking to start something new. (tired of chasing bulls and fixing fence)
I have about 25 acres of common Bermuda that I am considering cutting square bales on. I know it isn't much but I would like something to do with my pastures beside give the hay to someone else or watch weeds grow. I already have a great 60 hp cab tractor and a huge barn to store hay in, but will have to go into debt to buy a baler, cutter, rake, and accumulator. It is just me no help expected from the kids or wife. had a really wet year here in Louisiana and everybody has more round bales than they want but square hay for horses is running 6 to 8 dollars a bale now. I have a good job that lets me take off when needed so that will help, and do plan on fertilizing and spraying to make something that I would be proud to put my name on.
Bottom line; have I gone crazy to consider putting myself in 15k of debt, or is this a viable plan?? thanks for reading

/ New Hayer Need advice... #2  
15k is a slim budget, even for used equipment and you had better be very handy with repairs. most used cutters are wore slam out fortunately used square bailers can be had reasonable and most are in good shape.

/ New Hayer Need advice... #3  
Make sure you can get that $6-8 per bale. You will find that most horse owners love to buy quality weed free, tested hay. However, they expect it at trash hay prices. They are far more passionate about the dent in their wallet than their "thoroughbred" when it comes down to paying....

$15K IMHO is a nice budget for older, but not 50 year old equipment. For that money, you should be able to get decent, field ready equipment.

Good luck,
Bill

/ New Hayer Need advice... #4  
Hi, I am new to the forum but have lurked in the shadows for a while now.

I just sold my very small cow heard and am looking to start something new. (tired of chasing bulls and fixing fence)
I have about 25 acres of common Bermuda that I am considering cutting square bales on. I know it isn't much but I would like something to do with my pastures beside give the hay to someone else or watch weeds grow. I already have a great 60 hp cab tractor and a huge barn to store hay in, but will have to go into debt to buy a baler, cutter, rake, and accumulator. It is just me no help expected from the kids or wife. had a really wet year here in Louisiana and everybody has more round bales than they want but square hay for horses is running 6 to 8 dollars a bale now. I have a good job that lets me take off when needed so that will help, and do plan on fertilizing and spraying to make something that I would be proud to put my name on.
Bottom line; have I gone crazy to consider putting myself in 15k of debt, or is this a viable plan?? thanks for reading

Sounds viable to me and would probably be a good tax deduction as well? We can deliver to Winnsboro, La, a new Tar River BDR 165 Drum Mower + New Enrosst 5 wheel 3 point hay rake and a used Massey #12 square baler for $8446. We do not have the 10 bale accumulator in stock today, however, they should be back in stock in a week or so. Ken Sweet

/ New Hayer Need advice... #5  
Sounds viable to me and would probably be a good tax deduction as well? We can deliver to Winnsboro, La, a new Tar River BDR 165 Drum Mower + New Enrosst 5 wheel 3 point hay rake and a used Massey #12 square baler for $8446. We do not have the 10 bale accumulator in stock today, however, they should be back in stock in a week or so. Ken Sweet

Drum mower and wheel rake are definitely the way to go. Sicklebar mower and 5-bar side delivery rake would be second choices.

My baler was a Massey Ferguson 124 (two twine, small squares, 30-50 inch bale length). Bought it for $2K from a neighbor who used it the previous day to bale on his 30 acre field. Worked fine. I had to rebuild the slip clutch--easy, inexpensive job.

Good luck

/ New Hayer Need advice... #6  
Drum mowers are good, but you may want to look for a mower conditioner. You can go much wider than a 165 unit with your HP. A disk mower might be better as it does not windrow like a drum mower does. I have a Kuhn PZ 170 that does a nice job, but I need to tedd behind. Look around for a good inline baler. I have a Hesston 4550. They were made under several brands over the years. Current model is a MF 1835 or 1836. I can still easily get parts for my Hesston. For a rake I recommend a rotary like a Kuhn 3201 small enough to get through gate, but big enough for yor needs. I currently use a roller bar side deliver rake that ropes the hay. I use a hay grapple for picking out of the field. I got it from these folks Kuhns Mfg LLC | Innovation in small square bale handling. The last item you should have is a tedder. You never know when the rain will fall.

Good luck

/ New Hayer Need advice... #7