Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!!

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #1  

Tx Jim

Tractor
JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC
I've neglected checking slip clutch on my '05 JD rd baler. I know better but it's easy to overlook. Yesterday while baling hit a rough spot in the waterway,long drive chain broke,fell down and locked up baler. Long story-short story my 120 pto HP tractor twisted off the input shaft on baler gearbox. OUCH high $$$$$$$$. Stupid is as stupid does!!! :smiley_aafz::mur::smiley_aafz:

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #2  
So..... you are looking at a rebuild of the baler gearbox. Look at the bright side - it could have twisted off the tractor pto shaft. That is a tough way to remind anybody to check the slip clutch. I acknowledge your courage/honesty to make that post. May you have better days.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!!
Thanks. I agree it could have been a lot worse. I unfortunately watched my rd baler burn back in the 90's so I understand "worst scenario". Bright side is my neighbor bought a same model burnt JD rd baler for parts that he has agreed to sell me the un-burned gearbox from it.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #4  
Nice to hear neighbors helping each other.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #5  
Oh that's bad. Must be one heck of a pto driveshaft. Wouldn't been so bad to replace a twisted driveshaft.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!!
Driveshaft is splined & heavy. Front telescoping half of aftermarket driveshaft cost $700 because I replaced it last year due to wear in CV joint. Update neighbor brought over used gearbox and installed it on my baler and baler is now ready to bale hay with ""NEW slip clutch linings"". This neighbor works for me using my equipment cutting & raking for me.

PS: I've been disabled with spinal cord damage for 20 yrs and advancing in age has slowed me down so I can no longer do equipment repairs just observe and give advice.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #7  
Your advice is priceless to me and surely a lot of others too. With that drive shaft maybe it was good it didn't give. Glad you got it going. I work in my shop on a roll around office chair about 95% of the time. If it's something down low I raise it with an overhead hoist to a better working height. I'm retired and all my work is hobby for me and the neighbors. Once I get on one of the tractors I'm good, it's the getting on that's the problem. Whew.

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #8  
Driveshaft is splined & heavy. Front telescoping half of aftermarket driveshaft cost $700 because I replaced it last year due to wear in CV joint. Update neighbor brought over used gearbox and installed it on my baler and baler is now ready to bale hay with ""NEW slip clutch linings"". This neighbor works for me using my equipment cutting & raking for me.

PS: I've been disabled with spinal cord damage for 20 yrs and advancing in age has slowed me down so I can no longer do equipment repairs just observe and give advice.

Jim,
Glad you had the resources. Glad you have the reliable (apparently) helper. In following your posts over the years I pretty much figured you weren't what you used to be, with the back and age. I have both too and some days are harder than others but usually ok with Advil and cutting the day short. I have no reliable help but seldom need it now, especially since I quit the squares for that reason and just roll. Been working alone so long I seem to work better that way in retirement.

Mark

/ Check condition/adjustment of equip slip clutches!!! #9  
For me it is the old twins- Arthur and Ritus that get to me. They seem to be camping in every joint, Celebrex and Aleve daily help some, but I am sure stiff in the mornings. My Dog helps me warm up in the morning what with his insistence that we go throw the Frisbee first thing every day. It seems to be true that exercise helps with arthritis but it is sure hard to make myself do things to limber up due to the pain it causes. The dog is like a personal trainer, he doesn't care about my pain, just his pleasure.