Tractor size for hay wagon

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
I am looking for info regarding the size tractor required to pull a loaded hay wagon. Is there a general understanding, such as HP per foot of wagon or number of bales, tons of hay, etc? What about braking considerations?
Thanks

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #2  
I would be more concerned about tractor weight than HP. The old JD "B" was only 13 HP but it was 3200lbs. If you were on a hill you could usually make it up the hill loaded but coming down and trying to brake could get exciting. If you are on flat ground all the time, you could pull a hay wagon with 250 small squares, with a 4wheeler. Braking would be a problem if you went too fast. Looking at you location I would take "Hill" into consideration and go for braking more than HP.

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #3  
I think Norm nailed it. Pulling on flat ground is not an issue but stopping might be on an incline.

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #4  
We have a Kubota L3830 with loaded rear tires and a couple of 8x16ish "basket" type haywagons. The L3830 has no problem handling the wagons empty or full. It gets a little sketchy going downhill and turning with the tractor, the baler and a full (or almost full) haywagon, but no issues so far.
We also move haywagons around with our B7500 and RTV500. The RTV needs to be in low range to be happy going uphill, but otherwise, both handle the wagons fine loaded or empty.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #5  
For those of us that have done field work with tractors that run on coal, what is the weight and HP of the tractors of the tractors you are using? The L3830GST and B7500HST are a bit new for for me. Just to be on the safe side the baler and wagon were usually pulled with a JD 3020 with loaded tires. That was on rather hilly ground. On flat ground a IH 460 could handle three wagons in an emergency, rain was coming.

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #6  
I can pull a loaded hay wagon (kicker box) with a gas golf car. I just cant stop it very well.

My electric cart does better, but its the weight and brakes you need, not power.

You know you are a professional when you can back up a train made up of the tractor, baler and a hay wagon.

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #7  
I built a farm wagon(the tongue steers the front wheels) on brand new Horst, ten ton, running gear. The bed is 8' x 12' - - the wagon weighs right around 1250#. I can pull it, empty, anywhere on the property with my Polaris ATV. Loaded - I wouldn't even try. When its got a full load of Ponderosa pine logs - it would push my poor little ATV around as though it were connected to nothing. When she is loaded - its always hooked to my Kubota and even at that, it pushes real hard going down the hill in my driveway.

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #8  
Here's my experience on 10-20% grades.

1:1 braked wheels to non-braked wheels with newish R-4 tires - never had a problem.
1:2 braked wheels to non-braked wheels with newish R-4 tires - went for a ride on a section that I can only guestimate was 15-20% grade.

So how steep are your hills?

/ Tractor size for hay wagon
Actually, I was thinking of shopping for a tractor and hay wagon combo, was interested in a "rule of thumb" type guide line such as there is with plow width (HP/Ft). (So if I bought a 20 ft hay wagon, should be looking for "X" HP with XX Weight). Thanks

/ Tractor size for hay wagon #10  
For those of us that have done field work with tractors that run on coal, what is the weight and HP of the tractors of the tractors you are using? The L3830GST and B7500HST are a bit new for for me. Just to be on the safe side the baler and wagon were usually pulled with a JD 3020 with loaded tires. That was on rather hilly ground. On flat ground a IH 460 could handle three wagons in an emergency, rain was coming.
The B7500 has about 19 engine HP and probably weighs around 2000# as currently configured.
The L3830 has about 37 engine HP and probably weighs around 4500# as currently configured.

Aaron Z