Knife slicer attachment

/ Knife slicer attachment #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Instead of ripping riddles across the pasture to get better irrigation distribution, I was thinking of using knife slicers. I have a box blade with the typical shanks. Does anyone make knife attachments or replacement shanks (Landpride unit)? I have already tried a small disk unit with no luck. The concave disks wanted to lift and tear the sod. I want to cut about 4" deep and not rip up the sod as the current shanks do. Slice ridges are OK, I just dont want sod chunks everywhere. A sub-soiler might work, but I cant afford another piece of specialty equipment unless the shank sections might fit my box unit.
Thoughts - Thanks Keith.

/ Knife slicer attachment #2  
You might want to look at used straw crimper:

View attachment 495309

If you can get and mount just the blades on your box... Just a thought.

/ Knife slicer attachment #3  
powerscol
Have you investigated pasture renovators such as this one? I think you'll need colters to slice the turf.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    103 KB · Views: 223
   / Knife slicer attachment
I'm investigating drilling and adding the colter blades to my existing ripper shanks. Don't need anything fancy. Thanks teg for the idea - just might work.

/ Knife slicer attachment #5  
Build a toolbar and put the shanks you have on it . You do not need coulters , make it ride out of the ground .

/ Knife slicer attachment #7  
I use one of these machines on my place. NZ made version of an Aerway.. cannot believe the difference it makes to both water infiltration and pasture growth. Seeder is the icing on the top, it will handle anything from pea size seed down, including granulated fertilizer.
c98aff1ac9851b36fc1f31b038ea13b4.jpg
e067c20d7f04c636023fef3fe2d021d9.jpg
6989f4fb85c29d966bce2096e5c014e1.jpg

/ Knife slicer attachment #8  
The Hay King Pasture renovator's shanks like to pull rocks to the surface where I live. Some hay farmers have tried them and the hay equipment did not like rocks pulled up and destroying the cutting blades. The Aerway style is not the rock seeker like the Hay King.

/ Knife slicer attachment
I have a small aerator like shown, but i need to slice thin furrows. I discovered my old Craftsman GT box blade in my junk pile (elcheapo for garden tractor) It has thin ripper knives, If it will mount up to my new garden tractor that I use for mowing it just might work. Its buried under snow right now. I can use my grinder and sharpen them pretty easily. When I get it dug out Ill take some measurements and get some pictures. I do have chains for the garden tractor, so that should get me traction enough to work.

As for aeration I rent a plug unit from the local AGG rental place - need to do that this year again. It does a fantastic job. I sweep up the plugs and put them in low areas. They will take root and grow.