Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter.

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter. #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Well folks it is time to up my game on moisture testing. MY Delmhorst F-2000 as been doing OK seance I got it a few years back, but I keep having to send it in each year for a switch issue. Instead of one reading it cycles through everything when you push the button. The big reason is climbing on and off the tractor all the time. I want one to mount in the baler to check (give me an indication) as I go.

I am baling grass hay with a bit of alfalfa and clover mixed in, I do not have a conditioner. Hay is cut with a IH 1300 mower or Kuhn PZ170 drum mower. I have a tedder and rake, so can get a pretty good dry down - usually 3 to 5 days in Colorado. I try and bale on the dry side (12%) to eliminate any chance of mold. All my hay is for horses.

It appears the BH-2 is highly recommended. Are there others I should look at? I have a Hesston 4550 baler (inline). The BH-2 folks say to mount to the sides of the bale chamber (uncut sides of bale). Others have said top and bottom rail to read one cut side. Lots of information in the searches I made. Any thoughts here? Also instruction I have been reading say to place the sensors vertically, however I have seen many mounted at a 45 degree angle. Don't understand this. If you have an inline, can you post pictures of how you mounted yours?

My tractor is a Bobcat CT 235, I have 12V power at the rear and dash available, but want a temp mount system so I can remove when not in use. Any ideas on how to do this. Hood is metal - dash plastic. I could mount it to the ROPS. Any Ideas and pictures would help.

Thanks everyone

Keith

PS - Do folks have recommendation where to buy.

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter. #2  
Deere p/n for the agtronix/farmex bht-2; 2 sensors, 3 sec read, 8-30% range is SW007360, the more basic single sensor unit is the sw07350 (needs an ext cable for anything other than small square).

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter. #4  
Best price I have found is from these folks - $314.99 shipped to me
Buy AgraTronix �716�, BHT-2 8% - 4�% Baler-Mounted Hay Moisture Meter with Multi-Sensor Technology - MegaDepot

Anyone buy from them? Thoughts on price?

Thanks

That was the best price I could find as well. But...and this was a big butt for me to get around - shipping charges were ridiculous! (I know Alaska is a pretty good hike from the East Coast; but $128 to ship something that will fit in a $12 Flat-rate box from the Post Office is a gouge!)

AKfish

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter. #5  
Well folks it is time to up my game on moisture testing. MY Delmhorst F-2000 as been doing OK seance I got it a few years back, but I keep having to send it in each year for a switch issue. Instead of one reading it cycles through everything when you push the button. The big reason is climbing on and off the tractor all the time. I want one to mount in the baler to check (give me an indication) as I go.

I am baling grass hay with a bit of alfalfa and clover mixed in, I do not have a conditioner. Hay is cut with a IH 1300 mower or Kuhn PZ170 drum mower. I have a tedder and rake, so can get a pretty good dry down - usually 3 to 5 days in Colorado. I try and bale on the dry side (12%) to eliminate any chance of mold. All my hay is for horses.

It appears the BH-2 is highly recommended. Are there others I should look at? I have a Hesston 4550 baler (inline). The BH-2 folks say to mount to the sides of the bale chamber (uncut sides of bale). Others have said top and bottom rail to read one cut side. Lots of information in the searches I made. Any thoughts here? Also instruction I have been reading say to place the sensors vertically, however I have seen many mounted at a 45 degree angle. Don't understand this. If you have an inline, can you post pictures of how you mounted yours?

My tractor is a Bobcat CT 235, I have 12V power at the rear and dash available, but want a temp mount system so I can remove when not in use. Any ideas on how to do this. Hood is metal - dash plastic. I could mount it to the ROPS. Any Ideas and pictures would help.

Thanks everyone

Keith

PS - Do folks have recommendation where to buy.

This is great "a fellow Hesston 4550 baler owner". I was beginning to feel like the guy on the tv show "last man on earth". No one to talk small inline baler issues with. So far mine has been great. I would like to add a hydraulic pickup system to it though for moving between fields and transporting as I do a lot of very small patches of hay and would like a quick and easy way of lifting the pickup header. I think the kit calls for a 2" diameter by maybe a 4" stroke and some kind of mount for the cylinder. Oh yeah, How's the drum mower doin'? I own the SFI 2555 drum mower and love the cut. I did switch blades from Sickle Service (German made I think) because they keep a edge better than the Tisco blades. I'm such a small operater I doubt the money will be there for a baler mounted moisture meter, but sure would like to have one, though. If you get the moisture meter give a review, I'll be reading. bjr

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter.
There are a few of us here. Drum mower is good, but I like my sickle better if conditions are right. Lift kit is not that expensive. Check with your Massy/Hesston dealer. Also shop around. Looking at that upgrade too

Its ordered BHT-2. I need to put a plug in for MRO Products, Industrial Equipment, Tools, Intruments & More - MegaDepot. Their prices had changed slightly during my delay of getting it ordered. I emailed them about buying at the previous price. They not only did that, but took a few more dollars off., Got it for about $315 shipped to my house. Could not ask for better customer service. They are very responsive to emails and phone calls. Now the wait. Meanwhile I am working on the best place to put the monitor. Thanks for the help

/ Time to upgrade to a baler mounted moisture meeter. #8  
I've thought about getting the agratronix BHT-2 for my NH570. My dad has a MF1820 and I'm wondering if I can just get extra wires so I can interchange them instead of buying another unit.

How do you like using a moisture tester in your baler? Do you also have a handheld one you use for prepping?

Well it finally arrived. I was beginning to wonder about these folks. Now to find a good mounting spot.