Early planting season

/ Early planting season
The haying Gods are smiling on Utah right now. My fields are up a couple inches in growth and now it's raining. :dance1:
The forcast is for more rain over the weekend and more next week.:D

OK, we are getting a lot of rain.View attachment 503173

That's usually the way it goes around here. It will stay dry for a spell and then, usually in Spring, the fronts will come in. If they have enough velocity they dump a reasonable sum and move on down to the SE. It's when they stall out over us that it rains for days and days and just makes a big mess.

Living on black clay, known for shrinking and expanding, roadways and foundations are a joke. My house has sheet rock cracked in every room. One of the ells off my house has moved away from the main house by about 4". I just got tired of shimming up every June and pulling them back out every Dec. Now I just let it rock.

Did get my fert in and harrowed. Expecting good rains next week and get my drilling done so I can hopefully kick off a growing season.

/ Early planting season #12  
So yesterday was a record for the most rain in one day for Salt Lake City. 2" of rain in a day, we only get about 16" a year. I'm sure where I live I got a little more. I did say I'd take water any way I could get it right? Here's a shot after it cleared.
DSCN2852.JPG
DSCN2850.JPG
DSCN2849.JPG

/ Early planting season #13  
You have a beautiful place!

What kind of crop do you grow in that climate? Wheat?

/ Early planting season #14  
In the past I have had Alfalfa and Oats.
This year I planted a mix called "Prosper Plus with Peas" Great cow feed.
This is the mix;
31.48% Twin wheat
29.15% Hays Barley
24.44% Otana Oats
14.55% Austrian Peas
It is all guaranteed "beardless forage seed".

Many people in my area water their fields; I do not own the water shares to do that.
A wet spring will give me more hay than I can use so I'll sell the rest. I only started doing this with my own equipment 2 years ago. Both years were great as far as I'm concerned. This one is shaping up good too. Plus my neighbor in front said I could grow in his field and keep everything. He just wants his place to look "taken care of". So far he seems very happy with how I am managing his field.

/ Early planting season #16  
   / Early planting season #17  
Thanks City farmer. I enjoy where I live, although summer time can get dry and dusty.

/ Early planting season #18  
My fields are starting to look like they are growing. It's been wet enough, still cold though. Here's a few shots I took last night.
The field in the last picture is on the side of my house, beyond the fence is my neighbors place which he is letting me grow in.

DSCN2861.JPG
DSCN2863.JPG
DSCN2864.JPG

/ Early planting season
Nice looking place, fence especially.

I worked last week getting the ground ready and fertilizer incorporated. Been hit and miss on the rain to get it planted. Yesterday AM I went out and checked and the field was dry as a bone as far down as I needed to drill. So I did, then soft harrowed to get all the splashed seeds (rattled) down in the dirt. Today 1-2" of rain is on it's way....should be here within the hour. Can't believe it but this year has been the best year since 1979 for me to get a thorough field preparation, fertilization, and planting with the weather cooperating. I'll take it.

/ Early planting season #20  
I tilled up my garden in mid Feb the first time. Right afterward had a cold front so held off on doing any planting. This week I put in my tomatoes, bell pepper, habanero pepper, , cantaloupe, yellow squash & zucchini using bedded plants. Yesterday, I planted from seed, okra, red beets and watermelon.

I hope we don't get a gully washer of rain like they are predicting. Last year that happened and nothing I had planted sprouted up.