Early planting season

/ Early planting season #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Just touched base with Farmer's Almanac. For my area, this early spring weather is continuing and looks like I will be planting at the end of this month rather than end of April as usual. Rain is forecast +2 for April and average temp of 70. Sorghum-Sudan needs a 55F average soil temp and we are already there and looks like it will remain. Got a buyer for my whole crop yesterday so I'm good to go. Good luck on your spring planting.

/ Early planting season #2  
Wow,

Good for you. I just finished planting Saturday. Bring on the rain.:dance1:

/ Early planting season
Wow,

Good for you. I just finished planting Saturday. Bring on the rain.:dance1:

Lynn, you having a warm spring up there too?

/ Early planting season #4  
Yes, it's been warm. It's five in the morning and 64 degrees right now. It's just a head fake though. It will snow a few more times before winter is over. But I'll take the water any way I can get it. Last night after work I was out Gopher trapping and noticed my seeding from a week ago is growing! Little green shoots a couple inches tall. Couldn't even see them until the sun was low and hit the shoots just right.
Good luck on your fields.:thumbsup:

/ Early planting season #5  
I noticed yesterday that my neighbors wheat is beginning to have seed heads showing. Man this seems very early in the year for heading wheat.

/ Early planting season
I noticed yesterday that my neighbors wheat is beginning to have seed heads showing. Man this seems very early in the year for heading wheat.

Yes sir. One of my concerns in getting "suckered" into early planting is the way the Almanac is predicting rain. Looks like my rain chances are in April and will be dry till August. That and the unseasonably warm current and projected temps have suckered me into going early.....gotta take advantage of the April rain. Going to get fertilizer tomorrow and seed Thursday. Will get the fert in before the ½" expected Friday, let it dry a couple of days, spike tooth it over it and early next week plant. Forcasts have been real reliable around here lately so I'm confident the "rain gods" will smile on me. Grin.

Oh, thanks for the compliments on my "big mess" of a crop. Coming from YOU, with your experience and all, that IS a compliment.

/ Early planting season #7  
Mark
Is there much left over 2016 rd bales in your area? I noticed you stated you already sold this yrs Sudan crop. I just bought some fertilized/weed sprayed 2016 Coastal Bermuda that averaged 991# a bale for $25 delivered. That's a lot cheaper than I can grow & bale it.

/ Early planting season
Yes, one BTO selling premium Coastal and a lot of junk dealers. Last year was a bumper crop and everybody had hay. Lots of urban folks moving out gobbling up what used to be grazing land and not all are big enough to have bovines. It's not all bad as I have a new neighbor I have been doing all I could to make their new purchase a joyous event...since they are right across the street and why not....... What did I get in return?????? Big surprise...wanted me to supply them with hay. So I have been busy upping the crop size.

Guessing you are talking about a 4x6 which, being last season crop, is right in line with prices here but the delivery part inclusive would depend on what is required of you for that price.

/ Early planting season #9  
My parents who make real high quality hay have 20 - 5.5 x 6 from last year they can't sell at $25 each. My mom said she was thinking about dropping the price to $20. I told her at that price I'd buy them and just fertilize for one cutting my self.

There is a lot of left over hay around here.

/ Early planting season #10  
The haying Gods are smiling on Utah right now. My fields are up a couple inches in growth and now it's raining. :dance1:
The forcast is for more rain over the weekend and more next week.:D

OK, we are getting a lot of rain.
0323171448-01.jpg

Last edited: