Help! First time using liquid fertilizer.

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer. #1  

StuartDK45SE

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
I have 10 acres of jigs grass that I am getting back into shape. I am applying 30-0-0 with Chaparal herbicide mixed in.

Question. Is it okay to wait until the morning to spray when the wind will be lighter , but the grass will be wet? Or should I spray dry grass this evening? Obviously it is being delivered with water so that tells me it okay to spray in the morning?

Thanks

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer. #2  
Weed killers should be used after the dew is off the plants as the water on the plants changes your actual application rate.

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer. #3  
Weed killers should be used after the dew is off the plants as the water on the plants changes your actual application rate.

If the herbicide is a "contact" type and transfers in through the leaf to be effective the presence of water reduces the effectiveness of the agent by blocking the surface areas of the leaves.

However, if the herbicide is a "systemic" type and is absorbed through the roots of the plant to kill the weed, any time of day is OK to apply it.

However, it would not be advisable to apply either type just before a rain.

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer. #4  

May I ask how a dew could change the application rate?? If one sprays say 24 oz's of herbicide per acre then the dew isn't going to lower the amount of herbicide applied per acre. Dew could lower the applied chemicals effectiveness but not the rate per acre. IMHO fertilizer will act as a sticker(for lack of correct word) for herbicide.

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer. #5  
May I ask how a dew could change the application rate?? If one sprays say 24 oz's of herbicide per acre then the dew isn't going to lower the amount of herbicide applied per acre. Dew could lower the applied chemicals effectiveness but not the rate per acre. IMHO fertilizer will act as a sticker(for lack of correct word) for herbicide.
I use household dish soap as a (surfectant) wetting agent, about a cup to 100 gal. Put the hose down in the liquid at a low velocity to minimize bubbles. Actually today's liquid laundry detergent would do better as it has anti foaming agents. I only sprayed once and sprayed early in the morning with dew as that's the only time the wind is low enough to use the spray rig. I was told to expect some browning of the grass initially but it won't hurt the final product as the leaves grow to full maturity....little brown tips. It did and no biggie.

HTH

/ Help! First time using liquid fertilizer.
Thanks everyone. I sprayed yesterday afternoon. 1.1 tons of 30-0-0 with 1.5 pounds Chaparral mixed in. It ended up being a little too much so I ran over some spots where the weeds are worse. Hopefully I won't burn any grass. That foam marking stuff is good. There's even some still lingering this morning.