getting a little better hay

/ getting a little better hay #1  

tjse9006

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044M, 825I
I've got a small field, about two acres. I've been bailing for a couple of years to get the 300 square bales of hay I need for the horses. The first two years the hay was pretty good but last year there was a large amount of weeds and the grass was not as thick. I want to get better hay but really don't know where to start. I've thought about getting a weednfeed and using it and I've also thought about just spreading fertilizer and worrying about the weeds in the summer. I'll do a soil test later in the summer but for now I just want to improve the quality of the first cutting. What do you guys think. I new to the game so any advice would be appreciated.

/ getting a little better hay #2  
pull a soil sample send it to your university . That's the only way your ever going to find out what the dirt needs

/ getting a little better hay #3  
I'll second the motion for doing a soil test, first. That will tell what nutrients are lacking, and should tell you what's needed to help the intended crop. :2cents:

/ getting a little better hay #4  
Agree on soil sample now but will add spray for the weeds now. That is being said in earlier spring zone than you are in. Depending on the weeds you have you may need pre-emergent on it and if so need it there early. Prevent if possible, kill as small as possible to prevent the weeds using the nuterinats the hay needs. Some weeds can be killed when small and impossible once they get much size to them. If you don't know what the weed is take samples with you to either county agent or company who sells agriculture chemicals.

/ getting a little better hay #5  
I would spray it with either Grazon or 2-4D to control the weeds. Unit you can pull your soil samples, you can go ahead and put 250 lbs of nitrogen to the acre. This will kick start it and give you a good first cutting provided you get the rain.

2 acres is not lot, but if you don't have the equipment to do it yourself, check with your local fertilizer supply stores. You can probably get them to do both for you.

I'm not sure if you can get chicken litter in your area, but if you can (and they are willing to spread 2 acres) you can put 2 ton of it. It's going smell good for a few days and might upset a few neighbors, but they will get over it.

Just smile and say I don't know what your talking about. I don't smell anything.

/ getting a little better hay
Thanks guys. I'm going to do a soil test as soon as possible but won't get the results back till it's to late to do anything. I wanted to get a jump start for the first cutting. I thinks I'm going to spray 24d for weeds and then fertilize. I hope it gets me a little better hay.

/ getting a little better hay #7  
Thanks guys. I'm going to do a soil test as soon as possible but won't get the results back till it's to late to do anything. I wanted to get a jump start for the first cutting. I thinks I'm going to spray 24d for weeds and then fertilize. I hope it gets me a little better hay.

Most have online forms and if you mail them in on monday you should have it back by Friday . at least that's been my experience with Auburn Soil lab.

/ getting a little better hay #8  
You can spray two acres off the back of a 4 wheeler or truck if you have to.