Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings?

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #11  
Cockleburrs: I heard their seeds called Porcupine eggs. The seeds are a pain to remove from a horses mane/tail or cows switch.

That is a perfect description. Uncanny how you can just touch one of those things and it puncture and hold whatever touches it.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #12  
Here is link to answer the chemical question and also pest questions for you. Think this is the exact page you want. The people who sprigged mine show 2,4-D Weedon LV4, Weedar 64 and then say there are others you can use. Not sure all control the weeds you want so check the label. Here sand spurs have a narrow list of herbicides that work.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/agronomy/pestmanagement17/weed control in forages.pdf

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings?
Cockleburrs: I heard their seeds called Porcupine eggs. The seeds are a pain to remove from a horses mane/tail or cows switch.

They are indeed hard to remove from animals, especially animals that don't want to be messed with.

Interesting story. A guy went walking in the woods/meadow one day, and came back with cockleburs on him. He was a scientist of some sort and became interested in them and studied the form of their spines and the hooks on the end of them. He had an idea and started working on it. Cut to the chase. Eventually, his walk in the woods resulted in the invention of . . . velcro.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings?
kthompson and joeu235, thanks for that information. Based on that info, I think I'm going to hit it with 2,4-D Amine at a rate of 1 quart / acre. If that doesn't get all the cockleburs, I'll hit it again in 30-45 days. That info says the minimum time between applications is 30 days, and no more than 2 applications per season.

I may damage the young tender bermuda seedlings, but hopefully enough will survive to have a stand of grass. I can always overseed it later.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #16  
Poopdeck Pappy, unless you really put heavy dosage of 24d on the bermuda don't think it will harm it. I would wait on my second application as long as the label shows you can (weed height) and if thrid crop of cockleburs hit you move to a herbicide without 24d in it. I really do not think if you pay decent attention the cockleburs will be easy to control.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #17  
Poopdeck Pappy, if you have ANY concern on how any herbicide may affect your crop of any type then do the test method, using ratio you plan to test spray some of the weeds and crop and with 24D you will know in say 3 days, 5 for certain. It acts much faster than roundup. Some broadleafs will be showing signs of wilt within 24 hours if all is correct, ratio, chemical mixed properly. Do read label to see if you need surfactant (wetting agent) with it and if so what type. No dishwashing detergent is not the same as some types are.

You will find chemicals that tell you can tank mix them with others and I have had mixed results with tank mixes. If you do a tank mix do read the labels on each chemical to verify they can be and then mix in the order they tell you to. Think have seen it on tractorbynet but there is thoughts on the acid level of the water being used. Have seen some argument each way. We have a mixture of water sources here from wells to two different public water companies. My chemical company told me last year one issue I was having was the public water company I have. They use real deep wells and I have a friend who raises about 100 acres of coastal bermuda and he now test each tank of water and to get the PH he wants using vinegar.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #18  
I would think that cockleburs could be controlled easily with just regular mowing. A couple of years of mowing to keep them from going to seed and your problem would be non-existent. The burrs will always be above your grass so you can just set your mower to mow right above the grass tops to keep the burrs from seeding out.
Many years ago, on the farm, we used to be able to buy 2-4D in a wax bar that we dragged over the tops of crops to kill the weeds but not get anything on the crops. They also have the headers with saturated cloth that do the same thing. You may look into these and see if they are still available rather than spraying. This method only doses the weeds rather than covering everything in the pasture, so it takes much less chemical.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #19  
2,4-d is for the control of broadleaf plants, and will not effect grass.

/ Will 2-4-D Kill Bermuda Grass Seedlings? #20  
I have been applying and recommending herbicides for about 35 years, including thousands of acres of 2,4-D.

I have 2 main recommendations for applying any and all pesticides.

1. READ THE LABEL. It will tell you every thing you can use it on. When you can use it, what rate to use, what growth stage you can use it, and when NOT to use it.

2. FOLLOW THE LABEL. The manufacturers have spent millions on research of their products and they know how they work. They are required to do this in order to get the label. I don't have time or money to do research on how these products will work. And, the label is the law. If you don't follow the label, you are breaking the law.

Another very important issue when applying pesticides is calibrating your equipment. I know this is something that is not done very often, especially on small equipment, but I think it's very important. Putting 2 oz per gallon of Roundup in a sprayer could equal anywhere from a few ounces per acre to hundreds of ounces per acre, depending on how many gallons per acre your sprayer is applying.

If you can't find the proper pesticides to use for your situation, contact your county agent. I know that we are very fortunate in Louisiana to have a very strong Extension service at LSU, and some other states may not have such good support, but I think its a great place to start.