Help Identify These Leaves Please

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
I had asked the landscaper to plant another maple same species as the first (bottom leaf in pic) but the top leaf shown is what we ended up with. Could anyone identify them for me?

Edit: They are shown actual size on 8 1/2 x 11 scanner.

Attachments

• maple-1.JPG
    maple-1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 141
   / Help Identify These Leaves Please #2  
Looks like silver maple maybe...picture of the bark and tree of both species would help.

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #3  
Also many trees have juvenile and adult foliage. Not sure if maples do...

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please
Did some research meanwhile and I'm fairly sure that the bottom leaf is sugar maple. The large leaf at the top seems to come up as Norway maple but not 100% sure. It's a "juvenile" probably ten years younger than the sugar maple.
Any input is appreciated.

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #5  
Top one is sugar maple.

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #6  
I agree with the others that the top leaf is a sugar maple

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #7  
Just a suggestion...There are several phone Aps out there that let you send a picture of leaves or bark or blooms, fruit etc...and it will scan the database and ID about any tree...one such ap is called "leafsnap"...there are others

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #8  
Sugar maple and Norway maple look a lot alike, but you can tell them from each other this way:

Pull a leaf off and look at the end of the stem. If the sap that oozes out is white, it is a Norway. Clear and it is not, and if the shape is the same probably a sugar. Around here, Norway maples are considered invasive and not allowed to be sold in stores. They grow fast, produce lots of seeds, and have poor structure in their growth habits. Some cities like them because they are pollution tolerant. Most often people plant them because when they are still allowed to be sold, they are cheap (since they grow fast, and make lots of seeds).

Because sugar maples grow slower, and are often considered more desirable, they can be more expensive. They can also be fussier about soil and water conditions, a little less drought tolerant than some.

I say pull a leaf off of each and look at the sap, it will at least tell you if he simply gave you the cheapest thing he could could get, a Norway maple, and hoped you'd not know better. If both trees have white sap, shake his hand, he did just what you asked...if they are both clear sap, then he at least got you close.

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please #9  
I think your original is a Black Maple, and the new tree is a Sugar Maple. They are very similar, and overlap some on their common names. Both are 'hard maple' and 'sugar maple' trees.

/ Help Identify These Leaves Please
Just a suggestion...There are several phone Aps out there that let you send a picture of leaves or bark or blooms, fruit etc...and it will scan the database and ID about any tree...one such ap is called "leafsnap"...there are others

I installed the "leafsnap" ap and have now reversed my previous decision. :)
It does appear that the top leaf shown in the pic above is the Sugar Maple. The size of the Sugar Maple leaf is defined at 4 to 5 inches and that's about what they measure on our newest tree and the other features appear to match also.
So it appears that the tree we've had for about fifteen years is the Norway Maple rather than Sugar Maple that I thought it was.
I do appreciate all the feedback, everyone.