Small tractor and small round baler

/ Small tractor and small round baler #1  

ronchp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3616
Is my Mahindra 3616 large enough to safety use a Case 8420 round baler? There is a used baler for sale near me I would consider if the tractor can handle it. Currently use the tractor with a NH S68 square baker, but getting tired of picking them up.

The tractor, loader, and me onboard will weigh around 3400 pounds and has 31 PTO HP. The baler is around 2900 pounds. So with a 550 pound roll, it should come in a little below 3500 pounds. The baler supposedly needs 30 HP minimum and makes a 39" by 52" bale.

Any issue with using the hydraulics for the FEL curl function for the baler.

We do have hills, so I already have some spots that I go uphill only when pulling a load.

Thanks for any info.

/ Small tractor and small round baler #2  
Hills can make a difference. You are already close on hp. The main load on the roller is when nearing full whereby the pressure on the bale increases as does the hp required to keep things rollng. You didn't mention which dimension is diameter and which is length. I can do the numbers but if you have a wide, narrow diameter roll it will take less hp than a narrow roll with a large diameter, volume being the same reason being is that the diameter is what puts pressure on the pistons to the square of the distance, vs linear on the length. X times Y is exponentially larger than X plus Y.

/ Small tractor and small round baler
Good point-it's 39" wide by 52" diameter.

/ Small tractor and small round baler #4  
Good point-it's 39" wide by 52" diameter.

I ran some numbers for anyone interested and your position:

I use 1600# for a good, dense, maxed out water content for good rolled hay in a 5' (length) x 6' (dia) bale which is the largest common bale rolled around here over the years. If the bale is loosely rolled, or low in moisture it could be 300# less, or more if not a full 5x6. Using the equation for volume, I take the square area of diameter of the roll (pi x half the diameter squared) x the length for the volume. Then using a percentage one can estimate the weight of the different sized rolls. Basing the following answers on that I ran some quick numbers:

5'x6' (benchmark) 141 cubic feet, 1600# = 11.3#/cubic foot
5x4.......................62.8 cu ft.

4x6......................113
4x5.5.....................95
4x5........................79
4x4........................50
your 39"x52"...........47

So for your, 47 cu ft x 11.3#/cubic ft. = 535# max per my numbers. 9 each, 60# square bales weighs the same. If you think your tractor can haul around 9 squares and provide the power to roll such with the weight of the baler added, then you'll make it. But I wouldn't be in a hurry, aka take your time in rolling and put your hp in your PTO , not in moving the load across the ground.

You'll hear the tractor grunting when it gets maxed out. Increasing the throttle will produce little to no increase in RPMs. You don't have to roll the full 52" diameter. You can always shut off the roll diameter/weight by stopping and executing the tie function.

Good luck,
Mark

Last edited:
   / Small tractor and small round baler #5  
Is my Mahindra 3616 large enough to safety use a Case 8420 round baler? There is a used baler for sale near me I would consider if the tractor can handle it. Currently use the tractor with a NH S68 square baker, but getting tired of picking them up.

The tractor, loader, and me onboard will weigh around 3400 pounds and has 31 PTO HP. The baler is around 2900 pounds. So with a 550 pound roll, it should come in a little below 3500 pounds. The baler supposedly needs 30 HP minimum and makes a 39" by 52" bale.

Any issue with using the hydraulics for the FEL curl function for the baler.

We do have hills, so I already have some spots that I go uphill only when pulling a load.

Thanks for any info.

Another option to solve your problem is to talk with these folks about a hay grapple. Kuhns Mfg LLC | Innovation in small square bale handling. They make a small grapple unit that will fit your tractor ( 205 Compact Bale Grabber). You could run it with a 3rd function or off of a rear remote. Since getting mine I have not lifted a bale by hand for a long time. I have posted pictures and comments in other threads. Makes it real easy to stack in the barn too, and load out if you selling. Hope this helps.
Keith

/ Small tractor and small round baler
By the time I called the seller this last weekend he had already sold it and I have been too busy making square bales until now to get back on here. So I guess decision averted.

Mark-good analysis of the volume of different size bales.

Powerscol-I've seen some of your posts and I think you have a great setup. Unfortunately. I don't have either a 3rd function nor remote hydraulics. So for the value of the small quantity of hay I currently do, I don't think it would be worth it for my current tractor.

/ Small tractor and small round baler #7  
By the time I called the seller this last weekend he had already sold it and I have been too busy making square bales until now to get back on here. So I guess decision averted.

Powerscol-I've seen some of your posts and I think you have a great setup. Unfortunately. I don't have either a 3rd function nor remote hydraulics. So for the value of the small quantity of hay I currently do, I don't think it would be worth it for my current tractor.

Thanks.

Now you are smarter and have had time to think about it. The next time something pops up you can pounce on it. I learned that a long time ago. Gotta be ready and don't be timid if you want to survive the used equipment world.

/ Small tractor and small round baler #8  

Thanks for the good thoughts