How to get his elevator running good again?

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
The moving parts make a lot of noise while it runs. A lot of chatter and squeaking. Should anything be lubed? I'm guessing this is risky with an elevator because it could get gunked up pretty quickly.

The big problem I have is it jamming. You can't run more than one heavy bale at a time or it stops. The belt doesn't slip at all, the motor just makes a whirring sound while nothing moves. You can get it moving again by moving the chain by hand or shoving on one of the bales if you can reach one.

There's also a slight bend in the frame near the motor. Could that cause any problems?

Should I replace the motor? If so, which HP?

njyqxmh.jpg

HOVrSKw.jpg

g2WrVnh.jpg

pevgBcC.jpg

ZecgVYv.jpg

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #2  
Hello I am also working on a hay elevator for a friend . I always oil the chain on my elevator with chain saw bar oil and grease the sprockets .If the chain will move freely then the motor is toast Usually a 1 hp is enough motor

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #3  
Have you lubricated the bushing/bearing in the sprocket at the top of the elevator?
On the motor, I would find someone who rebuilds them vs buying a new one. It will probably be a lot cheaper.

Aaron Z

/ How to get his elevator running good again?
No, any tips on how to lubricate it. It looks like a sealed bearing. Maybe just try spraying silicone lubricant on it?

You say you lubricate the chain, I'm guessing along the metal slide where's there's metal to metal contact? Does it not collect a lot of debris if you lubricate it there?

I see that Harbor Freight has a 1 HP "ag" motor, I'm considering giving that a try.

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #5  
The slide for the metal chain will not collect any debris. The chain sliding along will clean it all off.

To me it sounds like you need to replace some bearings. A half horse motor on that short of an elevator should be lots. I would be tempted to run it empty and just squirt oil on the chain in the metal slide and against the bearings. A bit of oil will go a long ways to letting the elevator run easier.

Is there a grease zerk on the bottom shaft? The shaft with the pulley and the sprocket on it? If not then I think there is a tight bearing somewhere.

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #6  
Hay ! Gimme a private message or contact me at zzvyb6@yahoo.com . I'm just outside of Brighton and would be able to perform some on-site elevator inspection and guidance.

Dry chain lube would be my first suggestion, Then chain tightness and then appropriate motor horsepower. Possibly motor pulley radius is too large.

Depending on the height of the mow, I'll bet a 3/4 hp motor is minimum for 4 - 5 bales on the chain at 1 time. (Motor from ebay : TEFC Farm Duty. (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled), or Harbor Freight or TSC or Rural King at M-59 & US-23.

/ How to get his elevator running good again?
I can't find a zerk anywhere. Here's a better shot of the upper bearing. Looks like the motor is 1 1/2 HP.

zzvyb6 - I'm about 45 minutes from Brighton.

iLEOOwi.jpg

6oD8EGp.jpg

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #8  
Have you tried replacing the start/run capacitors on the motor?

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #9  
Are you sure the belt isn't slipping when the elevator stops moving? If the motor stalled, I would think that it would blow a breaker or activate the thermal overload in the motor.

/ How to get his elevator running good again? #10  
Are you sure the belt isn't slipping when the elevator stops moving? If the motor stalled, I would think that it would blow a breaker or activate the thermal overload in the motor.

:thumbsup: Yes, one would think if the 1-1/2hp motor (FLA ~ 20 amps) was actually stalled, and was drawing around (say 6x FLA) 120 amps, you'd have to get it moving again very quickly before the breaker (probably rated 20A) pops.

Is the key in the pulley (i.e. is the motor shaft just spinning in the pulley)?

An adhesive chain lube is probably best, but some people ;) have been know to let some motor oil dribble out onto a running chain, after making sure EPA approved capture & containment barriers are in place, of course.