Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning #1  

kballein

Tractor
John Deere 5303
Hi,

I have a Hesston 530 Round Baler and it will start the bale just fine, run all the way up to nearly a full bale, then start slipping.

I put new belts on in 2009 and only roll 200 to 300 bales a year. I pulled on belt off and it measured 361 1/2 inches long and I think the spec was 364, so not really streched.

The belts keep turning and the pick keeps going as well.

Do I need to get new belts, again?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ken

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning #2  
So to be clear, the belts are turning, but the bale is not.

If you tie the bale before it stops, how much smaller than it is it supposed to be?

If I overfill the NH I run the shear pin breaks, the 530 etc didn't have a shear pin so maybe it slips on the bale instead of the belts.

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning #3  
I had a 5x 6 Hesston with the 4" belts. I don't recall the number, may have been a 5560. I too had problems and bought new belts. I got the roughest texture 3 ply belt I could find and they seemed to do better. When the belts are turning and the bale isn't the friction between the two is inadequate and to me that means rougher belts to grab better. Ping Texas Jim. He is as knowledgeable as anybody seems to me, about haying and equip.

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning
All,

I talked to my local Hesston dealer and he basically told me to slow down. I have been baling with this thing for years. It was a light crop and was able to bale most in a higher gear than normal. I kinda forgot the need to slow down with a thicker crop.

I geared it down and it worked fine for the remainder of the field (duh).

Thanks for the responses.

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning #5  
All,

I talked to my local Hesston dealer and he basically told me to slow down. I have been baling with this thing for years. It was a light crop and was able to bale most in a higher gear than normal. I kinda forgot the need to slow down with a thicker crop.

I geared it down and it worked fine for the remainder of the field (duh).

Thanks for the responses.

What!! a dealer that knows how to operate the equipment he sells? Priceless!!

/ Hesston 530 Round Baler - Bale not turning #6  
This thread is a few days old but I was baling Bermuda yesterday and half the crop was thin so it dried out much more than the remainder. I thought about baling with a little dew on it to help it bind to the belts (just in case it wanted to slip) which put me onto thinking about this post and the suggestion that:

Maybe the hay is too dry to add to the pot of possible causes.

JD OEM uses diamond belts and open throats and they just eat up the crop....yum yum.