Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #21  
Jim,
Thanks for all your help. My 457 was "tired" and I was tired of messing with it.
And, nothing is forever. .

If your old JD 457 is tired my 467 is 3X's as tired but it's going to have to "keep on keepin on" because I don't desire to buy another baler.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #22  
Agriman
My ground isn't smooth enough to run much over 6 mph but my nephew which lives 30 miles south of me stated he regularly bales at 10 mph putting out 50 4x5.5 bales per hr with his 468.

Jim,

That's good. Glad to hear it working for him.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #23  
To those who have suggested a NH or Hesston, there is no dealer support for those near me. Period. And, for that reason alone, I won't consider one.

And that's a very good reason.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #24  
I have no experience with Vermeer or Deere balers. Around here everything is red and New Holland. My dad sold them for over 25 years

The Vermeer has the price point. Deere is Deere. The king. You are a Deere guy. Go green. You won't be happy with the Vermeer.

Since the year 2000 NH has sold the most round balers. It is not that close for #1 but #2 & #3 is close. JD is #2 & Vermeer #3. Hesston/AGCO is #4. Dealer availability has hurt the AGCO sales. All the baler manufacturer balers will work fine.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #25  
HayDr
May I ask where you're getting your statistics? Several yrs back someone stated on a discussion forum that Vermeer was the leading seller of rd balers in USA. I contacted Vermeer in Pella,Ia and the person I talked told me Vermeer was not the #1 seller. I know one doesn't see a lot of NH rd balers in the fields where I live.
Thanks,Jim

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #26  
My statistics are from the AEM stats that the Mfg's are members and have to self report their sales. Where most people think the stats can't be correct is they don't take into count for all sizes of balers. 60% of all round baler sold are 5' wide IE 6 x 5, 5 x 5. In 6 x 5 round baler JD will usually be the dominate player here trading places with NH sporadically. In the 5 x 5 its close race every year. 6 x 4 round baler its all over the place as well with NH, Vermeer & JD trading places. Currently in the 5 x 4 its NH #1, #2 Vermeer & then JD. Vermeer was the dominate player in the 5x4 round balers from 1992 to 2001 during their production of the 504 Super I series and Rebel 5400. When Vermeer cam out with the 5410 they raised the base price $2500 and that alone cause a price point problem for the smaller producer. NH came with the 450 and now had a $1,500 price advantage with better financing and they have dominated the 4x4 & 5 x 4 balers ever since. Hesston has at time led the 4 x 4 & done very well in the 5' wide balers but AGCO killed the Hesston name and reduced their dealers by 50% and now only markets the same balers under MF. Hesston make high quality balers but AGCO made very bad decisions in marketing.

In Texas Jim I'd say 80% of balers sold are 6 x 5 & 6 x 4 so John Deere will be very dominate. You have to understand there might be and average of 2 balers a section in TX where in the 4 state region there would be 10+ per section. Similar number of baler being sold in both areas just different sizes. There are plenty of areas in the East where a county will have 30+ round balers per section. That alone changes the statistics. You also take into corn stalk baling areas where Vermeer is dominate. The USA is a big market and all 4 manufacturers have high quality products. Look for service and you'll likely be satisfied with your choice of manufacturer.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #27  
HayDr
Thank for your detailed explanation.
Jim

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #28  
   / Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #29  
We see a lot of John Deere and new Holland around here. Vermeer was king around here 30 years ago. I do know a guy with a John Deere baler and he was having lots of troubles. However, John Deere was backing him and the baler. That what you have to consider, if I have trouble, will the company/ dealer stand behind you. I would say John Deere, new Holland, or Vermeer are a good choice. Anything to do with agco and from personal experience I'd run. I've had big time trouble with agco as well as other guys I know. The want your money, but won't stand behind their products.

/ Buying a new baler: JD or Vermeer? Your input please. #30  
Sorry I missed you before you made your choice. Good luck with your new baler and if you do go back to green try Claas green. A friend of mine has 2 seasons i n on his and he says he would just as soon quit farming than bale with anything else. I never ran one but his sure does a nice job and handles on some extreme terrain

Last edited: