Deutz GP2.50 bale kicker does nothing!

/ Deutz GP2.50 bale kicker does nothing! #1  

rectifier

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deutz DX160, IH B-275, Z225 zero-turn
I was very happy with my GP220, and I got to pick up a GP2.50 at a sale this year for very little money. Works great and the dual twine arms cut the tying time down tremendously. Neat to compare it to the 220 as there were a lot of incremental changes made to solve the issues of the 220. Sure can put a lot of hay through this thing in a hurry!

Only one real issue and it's a small one. The optional bale kicker which is installed, is useless. It just doesn't lift up very high at all! The bale comes to rest right below the rear gate, which means I have to back up while it ties and then drive forward while ejecting the bale. The GP220 would eject the bale right there and I could just close the gate and keep baling, even on a down slope. This one I have to eject cross slope or the bale can actually roll back into the chamber and be picked back up inside!

I tried tensioning up the cables and all that did was interfere with the latching mechanism by transferring weight from the latches to the spring on the kicker when the gate was closed. Note that mine has a pair of flat bars hanging down that the cables are hooked to, which does not match the drawings of how it was meant to be installed.

Is there a trick to setting this thing up, is mine bent or busted some way, or did these kickers just never work that well? I disabled mine by removing the cables and it works exactly the same so I suspect it is not doing much.