NH 488 Slip Clutch

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #1  

Draagyn

Silver Member
Tractor
65 JD 3020, 75 IH 966
Mower turns over by hand but slip clutch won't grab. Any temporary fixes until I can get it fixed properly?

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #3  
Disassemble entire clutch. Clean friction surfaces with solvent, wire brush, sandpaper, bla, bla, bla. Reassemble cleaned, degreased components and preload springs until it doesn't do that anymore.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #4  
Or weld it together and pray you don't swallow something that stops the machine.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch
Disassemble entire clutch. Clean friction surfaces with solvent, wire brush, sandpaper, bla, bla, bla. Reassemble cleaned, degreased components and preload springs until it doesn't do that anymore.

Done all this. Removed springs and torqued down bolts as hard as I could and still slips.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch
Think I'll give it four little tacks with the MIG and hopefully they break if I hit something.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #7  
Is there a friction disc in there?? If its steel-on-steel it will only slip.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #8  
Obviously it is a very simple set-up....

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch #9  

Obviously the friction discs have checked out, or it would drive with the springs taken out and bolts fully torqued. What is left of the assembly is probably junk anyhow. He may as well weld it and learn how that can end.

/ NH 488 Slip Clutch

This is really poor advice. But thanks for trying.

Have you worked on a NH slip clutch like this before? They are something special!