Personal record cutting

/ Personal record cutting #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
We got 974 bales off of 11.5 acres. That's 85 bales an acre. I guess Harvey was good for something. And my 12 year old daughter drove the truck for the first time and wants to help again when we bale 15 acres this coming weekend.

20170909_151245-3984x2241.jpg

20170909_150609-3984x2241.jpg

/ Personal record cutting #2  
Nice. I am hoping to get our 10 acres of Jiggs back in shape on the family place. I remember dad saying he got almost a 1000 bales one cut. I took back control of it now that dad has passed and gave the guy that was supposed to be taking care of it the boot. I'm going to buy some used equipment and go for it myself with the intentions of hopefully breaking even.

/ Personal record cutting #3  
How many cuttings?

/ Personal record cutting
In a normal year we'd be on our third cutting but this was a second cutting. The bermuda was late greening up this spring so our first cutting wasn't until mid June. The grass just kind of hangs out during the dog days of summer unless there are good rains. We were planning on cutting the weekend that Harvey hit but that changed our plans. We are usually getting another cutting in in late October but it looks like the hay barn will be full with just the second cutting off 50 total acres.

/ Personal record cutting #5  
We got 974 bales off of 11.5 acres. That's 85 bales an acre. I guess Harvey was good for something. And my 12 year old daughter drove the truck for the first time and wants to help again when we bale 15 acres this coming weekend.

View attachment 521423

View attachment 521424

You need to get a small hay grapple and save all that hand work. :thumbsup::D Looks like a great cutting and fantastic kids to help you.

/ Personal record cutting #6  
How much do your bales weigh? Bales per acre can vary based on the size of the bale, I prefer to think in terms of pounds or tons per acre. I got about three tons per acre this year on the first cutting, which is more than typical, we had a very wet spring.

~ 65 pounds per bale.

You need to get a small hay grapple and save all that hand work. :thumbsup::D Looks like a great cutting and fantastic kids to help you.

I've been looking at grapples, especially since I already have a skid steer. $6K is a lot to spend for something that I'm not sure would be as fast as a team of hard workers. Plus my 72 year old dad is not that interested in change.

I'll probably be forced to get one when my mom and dad are unable to drive tractors.

/ Personal record cutting #9  
I've been looking at grapples, especially since I already have a skid steer. $6K is a lot to spend for something that I'm not sure would be as fast as a team of hard workers. Plus my 72 year old dad is not that interested in change.

I'll probably be forced to get one when my mom and dad are unable to drive tractors.

Well if you like to dream, check there folks out. Kuhns Mfg LLC | Innovation in small square bale handling.

/ Personal record cutting #10  

Check out "Rocky Mountain Bale Sweep". Less cost than a grapple, but does require one guy on the trailer as we found out this year.

DSCN2951.JPG
DSCN2956.JPG