Teff Hay

/ Teff Hay #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Was at the farm store yesterday and saw a skid full of Teff hay seed. Got on the www this AM and read up on it.

The results seem to speak for themselves in terms of a summer hay crop and volume. What I see as a mountain to climb is their recommendation (Teff www) for planting. Don't know how effectively I can get where they say I need to be.

Interested in your experiences with the crop.

Thanks,
Mark

/ Teff Hay #2  
I don't know anything about Teff but have some relevant knowledge. My dad used to plant mega green (sorghum x sudangrass) for hay production. He eventually calculated that it took 3 cuttings, which he rarely got, to make it more economical than just buying hay.

I'm not sure about the costs of Teff seed, but annual grasses are a tough way to make hay.

/ Teff Hay
I don't know anything about Teff but have some relevant knowledge. My dad used to plant mega green (sorghum x sudangrass) for hay production. He eventually calculated that it took 3 cuttings, which he rarely got, to make it more economical than just buying hay.

I'm not sure about the costs of Teff seed, but annual grasses are a tough way to make hay.

Tell me about it. Grin I pulled out my receipts for this year getting organized for year end taxes. Wasn't pretty. That's why I'm trying new things. Last fall I planted Austrian Field Peas and this spring turned them in. Later in the spring planted Gotcha Plus SS and got 2 cuttings with no additional fertilizer.

Problem with SS here now is Sugar Cane Aphids came out of nowhere in 2014 and make an absolute mess out of that crop. They hit me in mid July. If I plant early I can fight the weather and get a crop off and then play dodge ball with them to get any more. They can show up one day in a spot and the next day the whole patch is gooey.

So, in going back to Jumbo Rye and Peas this time I'm still trying to find something that fits in with this operation and is workable.

Thanks for your input.

Mark

/ Teff Hay #4  
Was at the farm store yesterday and saw a skid full of Teff hay seed. Got on the www this AM and read up on it.

The results seem to speak for themselves in terms of a summer hay crop and volume. What I see as a mountain to climb is their recommendation (Teff www) for planting. Don't know how effectively I can get where they say I need to be.

Interested in your experiences with the crop.

Thanks,
Mark

I've raised Teff and am going to plant a field of it for summer 2018. It seems to be a love or hate crop. Grows fast, lodges easy and stays down. If allowed to mature to much, it doesn't grow back as well. Soil requirements are not steep or fertilizer demand. It is on par with Timothy, horse folks that have a clue love it and they will pay a premium for it - making the annual cost to plant easier to pencil out.

If everything clicks, it can be a very high yielding hay crop. Be careful with moisture, it likes to rehydrate to some extent IMHO and so if you think it's dry, might wait another day.

Good luck.

/ Teff Hay #5  
We planted some teff 10 years or so back. Like others said it lodged on us really bad. All we had at the time was a sickle bar mower. If it cut it it left a foot of stem in field. Really heavy and balled bad. Didn’t grow back good. Only got 2 cuts. Was told we’d get 3-4. Yield was ok. But not great. Not the best of soils. Was standing good until the week we wanted to cut. It reached “cut stage” and weather didn’t cooperate. Next thunderstorm lodged 90%+.

Although I might be willing to try it again now if I had a field that I lost cool season grass stand on or something. Really think you need disc mower at a minimum disc conditioners would be best.

It’s really a small seed. Think clover seed size. Really fine bladed soft grass. Very little stalk strength. Needs supper sharp or new blades to cut.

/ Teff Hay #6  
I've had really good service from Turner seed company. Their sales people are agronomists and are very helpful in choosing what varieties for a specific location and soil type.

https://www.turnerseed.com/home.html