Hay selling etiquette

/ Hay selling etiquette #1  

Kando

Silver Member
Tractor
2xFord 5000, Ford 960
Not sure where best to put this but it involves hay so this seems to fit. Now following the 'if it seems wrong it probably is' rule, the following seems plain wrong to me. In the time I've had my hay posted for sale, I've had two offers to buy, both of them requesting that I forward funds sent along with the payment to the hauler they would send to pick up the hay. At this point I just promptly broke contact and in both cases never heard from them again. Common practice or justified in being wary?

/ Hay selling etiquette #2  
Sounds similar to a scam.

/ Hay selling etiquette #3  
It's a scam. All ads like that are scams. You send money, wire it, what ever then sit on the front porch and wait. You will be a old dried up corpse and what ever you sent the money for will never show up. I can't say what I truly think of these kind of people. The forum would delete my account.

/ Hay selling etiquette #4  
Scam. It's basic check kiting. Best part is after you cash their phony check and forward the funds, you're liable for the amount of the check.

/ Hay selling etiquette #5  
I am not a hay jockey but I have been a salesman for most of my life and sold a few hundred rolls this year. If your posting on CL multiple pictures help , my ads have a pic of the field before cutting, during cutting after its windrowed and a pic of the bales then pricing at what your market is will insure you at least get some calls. If you have more in it that what its bringing its best to wait till all the cheap hay is sold. I sold some trash hay I made this year really cheap and I had less than 5 bucks a bale in it so I made over 10 $ profit on each one. I priced it this way because I wanted it moved quick. I believe in being fair and nit trying to take advantage of folks. It will pay dividends in the future . All of the customers this year told me to call them first next year even after I told them they may not ever see hay this cheap again.

/ Hay selling etiquette
Thanks for the replies folks. I thought so.

/ Hay selling etiquette #8  
If you're SELLING hay, why would you be forwarding funds to anyone?

/ Hay selling etiquette #9  

As I understand, here’s the scam:
“Buyer” sends you a check for the hay “plus the hauler’s fee” with the understanding that you forward the hauler’s fee.
You forward the fee (from you account), but in the meantime buyer’s check bounces.
Now you’re out those funds, plus you might of forwarded a personal check that has your bank account, routing numbers, address and signature on it.

/ Hay selling etiquette #10  

'Cuz yer stupid. But, shockingly, this tactic works, over and over.
edit: editorial "yer", obviously! :eek:

Last edited: