Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42
  1. #11
    Elite Member zzvyb6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,617
    Location
    michigan
    Tractor
    jd 1070

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    You can easily run the 472 haybine. I can run all day in high range. (see attached video). You need a double acting hydraulic circuit for tongue swing and a single acting one for header lift.

    214813 2411 - YouTube

    Not sure you have enough grunt to run a round baler, though.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

  2. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Location
    crown point,ny
    Tractor
    john deere 3520

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I would like to get a mower with conditioner and am interested in a Terra drum mower with conditioning from tractortoolsdirect.com or a NH or JD haybine. The drum will cut 4'4" wide at a pretty quick pace and a haybine about 7' and a bit slower than the drum. I like local dealers with a parts department, and I like American products from American companies. Our hay will be for our own use only feeding dairy cows and calves, and my team of draft horses. It sounds like the sickle will work but something about it doesn't feel right. As I type a haybine makes sense because I can upgrade my tractor to it, which will most likely be a JD 4 or 5 series. I've had 3 dealers and 2 owners tell me a Case 8420 or Massey 1734 will be fine with my current tractor. They both require 30hp and make a 4x4 bale. What size tractor is in that you tube clip? It doesn't seem very big.
    Mike

  3. #13
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    443
    Location
    Belfast, Maine
    Tractor
    Katie (Wife), Heather, Mariah, Alyson,Gianna, Kaelyn

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Another cheaper option would just be go to silage. You could mow with sickle, discbine, flail, bushog whatever, one day, then use a flail chopper the next day after it is wilted down past the 70% moisture content and put it into a horizontal bunker. It is a lot cheaper, faster, no waiting for drying weather and less equipment to buy and maintain. Heck you don't even need to have a place to store the feed. Just pack it down with your tractor really good, cobver with plastic and weigh it down.

  4. #14
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,854
    Location
    Balls Creek, NC
    Tractor
    New Holland t4.75

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    We ran a 477 for years when we had cattle. That and an old roller bar rake with a square baler later updated to a round baler. Parts are plentiful for those old haybines. Just have to keep things in perspective and maintain them. If I was assured parts support for the drum mower conditioner that would interest me.

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Location
    Coastal Rhode Island
    Tractor
    Jinma 354, purchased 2007

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseycows View Post
    Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. I would like to get a mower with conditioner and am interested in a Terra drum mower with conditioning from tractortoolsdirect.com or a NH or JD haybine. The drum will cut 4'4" wide at a pretty quick pace and a haybine about 7' and a bit slower than the drum. I like local dealers with a parts department, and I like American products from American companies. Our hay will be for our own use only feeding dairy cows and calves, and my team of draft horses. It sounds like the sickle will work but something about it doesn't feel right. As I type a haybine makes sense because I can upgrade my tractor to it, which will most likely be a JD 4 or 5 series. I've had 3 dealers and 2 owners tell me a Case 8420 or Massey 1734 will be fine with my current tractor. They both require 30hp and make a 4x4 bale. What size tractor is in that you tube clip? It doesn't seem very big.
    Mike
    I have a similar mower from Small Farm Innovations but without the conditioner. I really like the way it cuts, the limiting factor is how fast I can drive and stay in the seat in my lumpy fields, which is about 5-6 mph. It gives a lawn-like cut. It's been tough so far and if I hit a rock it's easy to replace the blades and they're not expensive. However, an ambitious year for me might be 10 acres. That 4-foot mower starts feeling really, really small when it's time to mow a big field, two acres per hour is a good rate.

    I don't have a tedder but I have a rake that has settings for spreading and windrowing. The spread setting leaves the hay standing up. My normal routine is to mow, then spread, dry for 3 days then windrow and bale. Depending on conditions I may spread again. It's very humid here but that seems to make good hay.

    I agree with the other posters that you're going to need a bigger tractor to round bale.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member
    Approved Advertiser
    HayDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,902
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Tractor
    JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseycows View Post
    Hello all,
    My wife and I bought an old dairy farm down the road a bit and with barn setup, pastures, and hayfields we are going to be in a much better setup for us and our cows. I will have 30-40 acres to hay and already own a JD 3520 (37hp and 30pto hp). I have been researching haying equipment all winter to use with the 3520, and there's not a lot of it. I'm looking at an Enorossi sickle mower (6' double action), Rossi 2 basket tedder, and Case 8420 or Massey 1734 round baler. I already picked up an old JD rollabar rake with dolly wheel. This equipment is all fairly local and I can afford it, tractor and rake are paid for. I would like to get a drum mower with conditioning or a New Holland 472 haybine but can't swing the cash right now. The Rossi sickle mower is the one I have concern for as sickles generally have a less than ideal reputation (clogging when it's thick and no conditioning), but the double action on the newer sickles seems to be an improvement in terms of clogging. I'm not sure what king of grasses I'll be dealing with as another farmer down the road has been haying it for a number of years and I have yet to catch up with him to inquire. He uses a haybine. Any thoughts on these new sickles? Should I not waste my time and money and go for a drum mower or haybine despite that would double the cost
    Thanks,
    Mike
    You do not have enough HP to pull a drum mower with a conditioner. A double action mower is a great tool but only in a pristine field with no rocks and debris like branches or trash thrown out. On the other hand, a drum mower will last a lifetime short of wrapping one around a telephone pole. A hay bine is old technology, you'll be done mowing with a drum mower before you can start with a haybine. Your grass hay will have to dryoff before a haybine can be used. A drum or disc mower can mow anytime in any conditions as fast as you can ride in the seat of the tractor. A 165 drum mower can be purchased new in your area for around $3,500.

  7. #17
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,656
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    Not sure you have enough grunt to run a round baler, though.
    We have a older Ford 522 5x5 round baler that we run behind our L3830. It makes it work for the last foot or so (we usually stop at a 5x4 round bale), but it handles it.

    Aaron Z
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Friday

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,408
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    I had a Hesston 530 for a little bit that made a 42x48 bale and it spent as much time wrapping twine as it did rolling a bale it seemed like.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR)
    JD 550 Dozer 6 way blade and winch
    JD 450B Track Loader
    Case 480C Backhoe W/ Extend-a-hoe

    '01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    ''08 700R Raptor

  9. #19
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    15,656
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    I had a Hesston 530 for a little bit that made a 42x48 bale and it spent as much time wrapping twine as it did rolling a bale it seemed like.
    We found that if I make 4' bales, I can make a bale in about the same time as it takes my wife to pickup a bale and run it to the barn.

    Aaron Z
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Friday

  10. #20
    Elite Member Jerry/MT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,614
    Location
    Western Montana
    Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500

    Default Re: haying equipment questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseycows View Post
    Hello all,
    My wife and I bought an old dairy farm down the road a bit and with barn setup, pastures, and hayfields we are going to be in a much better setup for us and our cows. I will have 30-40 acres to hay and already own a JD 3520 (37hp and 30pto hp). I have been researching haying equipment all winter to use with the 3520, and there's not a lot of it. I'm looking at an Enorossi sickle mower (6' double action), Rossi 2 basket tedder, and Case 8420 or Massey 1734 round baler. I already picked up an old JD rollabar rake with dolly wheel. This equipment is all fairly local and I can afford it, tractor and rake are paid for. I would like to get a drum mower with conditioning or a New Holland 472 haybine but can't swing the cash right now. The Rossi sickle mower is the one I have concern for as sickles generally have a less than ideal reputation (clogging when it's thick and no conditioning), but the double action on the newer sickles seems to be an improvement in terms of clogging. I'm not sure what king of grasses I'll be dealing with as another farmer down the road has been haying it for a number of years and I have yet to catch up with him to inquire. He uses a haybine. Any thoughts on these new sickles? Should I not waste my time and money and go for a drum mower or haybine despite that would double the cost
    Thanks,
    Mike
    You might want to consider a small square baler. I doubt your tractor has enough power to do large round bales. Check with the manufacturer for the min hp requirements for whatever baler you are considering.

    Tractor Tools.com has drum mowers that have conditioners on them. I bought a Galfre 190 from them about 3 years ago and it has conditioning plates on the drums. It doesn't windrow the cut hay like other drum mowers so you may not need a tedder. I have not needed one but we have relatively low humidity and or hay dries quickly after cutting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AK haying equipment.
    By AKweldshop in forum Haying
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
  2. New haying equipment
    By corey9212 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:32 AM
  3. Haying Equipment
    By CWP37 in forum Haying
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 11:07 PM
  4. Haying Equipment needs 101
    By riptides in forum Haying
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. haying equipment
    By cowboydoc in forum Haying
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2001, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2018 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.