Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere 3520

Default Re: haying equipment questions

I've tried to switch to baleage but my wife didn't want to for various reasons and more importantly our dairy nutritionist said no fermented feed if we want to make cheese and sell direct. Just dry hay, grain, and barley fodder. (Which we will be growing year round indoors). It would have helped me out but no can do.
    Mike

Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

I had heard that some cheeses didn't work well with silage, I believe it was the hard and semi hard cheese could have a problem with some bacteria that may be present in some milks.
    Your dry hay will be the most important variable that you can control in your situation, grasses before they head will yield upwards to 20% protein with good digestibility.
    Good luck with your equipment selection and hay harvesting.

Tractor
    john deere 3520

Yes, Listeria is the big one. It kills people. The big makers ultra pasteurize which kills everything, so no problem. Thanks for helping out, I really appreciate your time and knowledge. I'm going to persist and eventually land with something that works. There are plenty of options out there and its just a matter of time until I find them. I've found lots of help here.

Tractor
    JD 5075E

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    We found that if I make 4' bales, I can make a bale in about the same time as it takes my wife to pickup a bale and run it to the barn.

Aaron Z
    How does this compare to a tractor carrying it to the barn?
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Tractor
    john deere 3520

That's a strong woman indeed.

Tractor
    CT 235

jerseycows
    I have been watching this thread. If you look in my signature you will see the equipment that I hay with. My tractor is smaller than yours and I am at 7000+ feet in elevation. I run a Heston 4550 baler with ease. MF entry level round baler only needs 30 HP. I cut either with my 9' IH 1300 sickle, or my PZ 170 drum mower depending on grass conditions. I tedd both cuttings at day 2 to get better drying. Also for moving the hay I have a small hay grapple - no more moving by hand.

So yes it can be done as I have been doing ir for several years now. If you search my user name you will find what I went through .
    Good luck.
    2011 CT 235 with FEL, Filled rear tires, RBT3584 Rear Blade, Ansung Terra Force YJR074 tiller, Ansung Terra Force 42 inch pallet forks, Kubota RA1035 rotary rake, IH 1300 9 ft sickle mower, Hesston 4550 baler, Kuhn PZ 170 drum mower, Kuhn 222T Tedder, Maschio Giraffetta 160SE Flail Mower, Hydraulic top link. Kuhns Mfg 205 Compact Bale Grabber, Overhead light bar, tool box, various Titan hitch adapters, along with rear flood light on the tractor.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by CobyRupert View Post
    How does this compare to a tractor carrying it to the barn?
    She uses the B7500 rather than moving it by hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseycows View Post
    That's a strong woman indeed.
    Don't get in her way

Aaron Z
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Friday

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1710 Ford, Versatile 150

Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    jerseycows
    I have been watching this thread. If you look in my signature you will see the equipment that I hay with. My tractor is smaller than yours and I am at 7000+ feet in elevation. I run a Heston 4550 baler with ease. MF entry level round baler only needs 30 HP. I cut either with my 9' IH 1300 sickle, or my PZ 170 drum mower depending on grass conditions. I tedd both cuttings at day 2 to get better drying. Also for moving the hay I have a small hay grapple - no more moving by hand.

So yes it can be done as I have been doing ir for several years now. If you search my user name you will find what I went through .
    Good luck.
    Not to be a downer but drying hay at 7000+ elevation in the much dryer Colorado climate is a whole lot different than drying it in New York state.

It is interesting that your tractor handles the baler that well though. that is good news.

Tractor
    jd 1070

That's for sure. I'm originally from N.Y. State. Do they have a special tax yet on hay seeds, hay bales, baler twine, rake teeth, sickle knives, tedder hour meters, tractor horsepower, cow farts or on-farm diesel fuel ? If not yet, when are they going begin ?
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    That's for sure. I'm originally from N.Y. State. Do they have a special tax yet on hay seeds, hay bales, baler twine, rake teeth, sickle knives, tedder hour meters, tractor horsepower, cow farts or on-farm diesel fuel ? If not yet, when are they going begin ?
    Not yet, Dictator Cumo hasn't yet figured out what lies will work the best to shove it down working peoples throat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast