haying equipment questions

/ haying equipment questions #41  
Not to be a downer but drying hay at 7000+ elevation in the much dryer Colorado climate is a whole lot different than drying it in New York state.

It is interesting that your tractor handles the baler that well though. that is good news.

I think is has to do with the inline design (less moving parts). Also as the big flywheel is 90 degrees to the line of the internal workings it cancels out most of the rocking motion. I run it just shy of full 540 PTO and take my time. Also controling the windrow makes a huge difference in the operation. MY new rake keeps the windrows uniform. My old roolabar rake used to roop everything and make drying hard.

And yes I am aware of the different drying conditions. I have a friend in back east in Jersy that must use a conditioner to get anywhere close to drying. I believe the OP should look hard for one, either stand alone or part of a good MoCO.

/ haying equipment questions #42  
I don't hay that many acres but what started out with was a JD 5103, a JD350 sicklebar mower, a IH16 side delivery rake and last was a Vermeer 605C. It worked but not ideal. Everything had to be perfect to bring in a crop. Fought the first couple of years to get the baler to do a decent bale. About the third year I had a great yield and I couldn't get the mower through it all. Tried the poor man's method i.e. my shredder and kept breaking shearbolts. Had to make a journey down south to the coast to get a NH489. With only belts and a chain was up and running and haven't looked back. Last year after fighting the the baler got a Vermeer 5400 rebel. Sweet baler. Now to my point. It's possible to do an admirable job with minimal equipment but for 30 to 40 acres it will be a slow process and you will find yourself running out of time. This year is the first year that I will be a bit more proactive. After looking again at the fact that I'm running the tractor at maximum UP to run the baler I had to ask myself "how long can I do this before I destroy my tractor?". So I upgraded my tractor to a proper size. All I'm saying is do what you need to but start planning on what you'll need to make your operation not only profitable but enjoyable. Ultimately good luck on your new endeavors.