JD model 39 sickle bar

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #1  

robyoak

Tractor
Ford 4000SU
Does anybody have or know where to find parts for a JD model 39 sickle bar. The upper pulley has busted on mine...again. It痴 been welded several times and this time it痴 done for. It痴 a discontinued part and I致e searched high and low for one. Thanks

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #2  
Welcome to TBN
Although very pricey pulley for 540 rpm operation is still available from JD. AE31166 Pulley - ADD 816.02 USD

/ JD model 39 sickle bar
I think according to the serial number, they made 2 or 3 different pulleys. My local JD dealer showed me that the one I need is discontinued. But even if I could get one, I won稚 be paying that for one.

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #4  
Use the ratio of the drive to driven sheave diameters to get an equivalent sprocket set and run a chain instead of a belt.

If you still have a decent center hub portion, bolt another pulley along side it. Looks like there is plenty of spline shaft to space the new pulley in a position to work. 39 sheave.JPG If the center hub is shot, find a new hub that fits and bolt on the o.e.m rim.

Let us know what works out. We like the Rube Goldberg solutions !

/ JD model 39 sickle bar
The center is what is busted into several pieces, and it痴 a strange offset pulley. I値l send some pics when I get a chance. I will McGuiver something and make it work. Thanks

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #6  
I think according to the serial number, they made 2 or 3 different pulleys. My local JD dealer showed me that the one I need is discontinued. But even if I could get one, I won稚 be paying that for one.

Yes but if one reads parts description first part number listed subs to part number I posted for 540 pto operation. I was taught back in the 60's when I started employment at a JD dealership when working in parts dept I was instructed to read all parts descriptions & footnotes.

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #7  
What we do is send the broken part to a local machine shop, so they can use it as a template for a new part. Steel parts last longer than cast and can take more stress.

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #8  
I’d look for another one for parts, or upgrade to another model,

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #9  
I would recommend making a post on Yesterday's Tractor forum. That site will serve you better when looking for vintage stuff. This site is more modern compact tractor based.

/ JD model 39 sickle bar #10  
I know you are probably dealing with a unique spine but you could still probably get away with a Browning hub and pulley set up.