Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler??

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #1  

Sfisher12345678

Tractor
Kubota & Oliver
I have a New Holland 311 Square Baler with string tie knotters. It seems like the knotters aren't tying the knot tight... and they are slipping loose. The knotters are new. I've currently scheduled a local dealer to look it over and adjust them. What I'm interested in is learning how to adjust them myself. I would like to attend some training on this.... if something like this is available. Any thoughts or comments on this?

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #2  
That's sometimes caused by the tension in the twine being too low.

Everything I know about adjusting knotters I learned from reading the manual and watching Youtube. Lots on Youtube. That and trial and error!

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #3  
I am not an overall advocate of sending people from one forum to another, but in this case due to the complexity of what you are asking, I suggest asking the great guys over on HayTalk Forums. They live for these questions.

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #4  
I am not an overall advocate of sending people from one forum to another, but in this case due to the complexity of what you are asking, I suggest asking the great guys over on HayTalk Forums. They live for these questions.

Yepper Mike10 on HT is the go-to NH person. I agree with other poster to check for low twine tension.

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #5  
Knotters are an art form, some people are gifted when it comes to them others will struggle to comprehend how they work with dozens of manuals and cheat sheets, your dealer may have some one that's good he may not, usually someone can direct you to the local knotter guru and when you find him be nice to him.
They are actually simple once all the pieces fall into place, some people will get it in 3-4 visits some 50-60.
Good Luck

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #6  
I have a New Holland 311 Square Baler with string tie knotters. It seems like the knotters aren't tying the knot tight... and they are slipping loose. The knotters are new. I've currently scheduled a local dealer to look it over and adjust them. What I'm interested in is learning how to adjust them myself. I would like to attend some training on this.... if something like this is available. Any thoughts or comments on this?

Just go to YouTube and type "baler knotters". There are dozens of videos that teach you how to operate knotters.

Good luck

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler??
Thanks for all of the advice! I appreciate it.

Steve

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #8  
My advice is to take a nice dry warm day (or heated shop) and make sure there is no hay in the baler or chamber anywhere. Disconnect PTO shaft and turn machine over by hand withe the flywheel (in direction PTO shaft would turn it) Once you confirm the machine turns free, trip the knotter arm then turn the flywheel by hand a rotation at a time to see how the parts work in SLOWWWWW MOTION. You should be able to thread the machine and have it make knots.

I had to do this with a MF after fighting it missing knots on one side every few bales. Found the needle was out of line. Was VERY evident in slow motion.

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #9  
Yep. That's how I learned to adjust the knotters on my MF124 baler. Also needed to remove some sheet metal to see the knotters while turning the flywheel.

/ Class or Seminar For Adjusting Knotters on a Square Baler?? #10  
My advice is to take a nice dry warm day (or heated shop) and make sure there is no hay in the baler or chamber anywhere. Disconnect PTO shaft and turn machine over by hand withe the flywheel (in direction PTO shaft would turn it) Once you confirm the machine turns free, trip the knotter arm then turn the flywheel by hand a rotation at a time to see how the parts work in SLOWWWWW MOTION. You should be able to thread the machine and have it make knots.

I had to do this with a MF after fighting it missing knots on one side every few bales. Found the needle was out of line. Was VERY evident in slow motion.

However when you do this be sure you have tension on the twine (mimic a bale being there) I use bungee cords on each twine attached to the bale chute (pulling straight back like a bale would). As mentioned check the twine tension coming off the roll. You manual should tell you what it should be. I use a fish scale to set mine.
Hope this helps.