Question concerning getting the right round baler

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #1  

MikeinMich

So I have a kubota MX5800 and I've been bailing with a NH 311, which works pretty well, but I've been having a bit of trouble looking for suckers - I mean helpers- to put up the hay. So due to this, and because I have a hay hut and net that I like to use round bales with too, I've been thinking about getting a smaller round baler . I think a 4x4 one is pretty much what my limit will be, especially given that I have hills. I know nothing about them, of course, just that the new ones are pretty expensive (understatement of the year). So I'd like to stay under 5k, but could go a little higher. As an end hay user, I like net wrap, but I'm fine with twine because I store the hay inside. I'm also very much into low maintenance/reliability - I have my eye on a 483 New Idea that isn't too much, but I'd love some more input. Thanks in advance !!

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #2  
So I have a kubota MX5800 and I've been bailing with a NH 311, which works pretty well, but I've been having a bit of trouble looking for suckers - I mean helpers- to put up the hay. So due to this, and because I have a hay hut and net that I like to use round bales with too, I've been thinking about getting a smaller round baler . I think a 4x4 one is pretty much what my limit will be, especially given that I have hills. I know nothing about them, of course, just that the new ones are pretty expensive (understatement of the year). So I'd like to stay under 5k, but could go a little higher. As an end hay user, I like net wrap, but I'm fine with twine because I store the hay inside. I'm also very much into low maintenance/reliability - I have my eye on a 483 New Idea that isn't too much, but I'd love some more input. Thanks in advance !!

We have 12 rollers shown in the link below. NI or JD are pretty bullit proof. Ken Sweet
Great deals from Sweetfarmequipment in Round-Balers- | eBay Stores

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #3  
I have a New Idea 484 that I picked up a few years ago because of a situation similar to yours. The only trouble I've had with mine is a couple of bearings going bad (which aren't too bad to replace) and my automatic tie feature on my monitor quit. I could send it to be repaired for about $300, but I figured out a way to fix it with a reversing switch and I like using my manual switch better than the old auto-tie.

I use my Kioti DK45 (which is probably just a little smaller than your MX5800) and have no issues with rolling. If I'm in heavy hay and I'm really packing it, sometimes going uphill my engine will lug just a little, but that's pretty rare.

The 484 (and I imagine the 483) make a soft-core roll, so they're not suited to be handled a lot. For the most part, I handle mine once to put up and once to set out. I keep about 2/3 of mine inside, with the last 1/3 being outside for a couple of months between last cutting and first feeding. By the time I get to the end of the pile, the rolls can be in poor condition. I need to get my shelter built, but keep running out of money!

Anyway, good luck with your search. Take care.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #4  
My father utilize an old NH chain baler for over 20 years haying for 3 small cattle farms. Didn't make a tight bale but worked good for our Ford 861 loading them. I don't have any experience with the Deere balers only New Holland. RickB is the New Holland expert on here. I am not as familiar with the different model numbers as he is. You should be able to get a good serviceable baler for 5K.

I have a friend that I attend church with that just replaced his baler that burned up in a fire. Make sure to keep some type of fire extinguisher with you. We never did and never had an issue. I know of 3 local farmers who lost their bales due to fire. A bad bearing heats up in a hurry.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #5  
630 NH. I run one, 4x4 bale, twine, still can get parts at NH. I used to run it with 42 PTO HP.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler
Thanks for all the feedback! So of course I go to look again and it’s nowhere to be found. Lol. I found a JD 335 near me for $5500, though. I have an acquaintance who has been baking for a long time. I might have to pay him to go check these things out with me - I’m definitely a little leery about this stuff since I the electronic monitoring thing is definitely not what I’m used to so far.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #7  
I'm not very familiar with JD smaller rd balers as not many were sold in my area but I think they are good balers. There's not much electronics on a JD 335 rd baler. Later baler after sn 96001 would have electrically operated twine arm. Check belt wear as the cleats have 3 steps & worn out belts don't start a core very well. . I've had good success with JD rd balers having baled over 150,000 bales utilizing them.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #8  
I've used a Vermeer 605C for about 3 years and did ok. Got fed up with it and upgraded to a Vermeer 5400 and it's been flawless. I ran it my JD 5103 which has about 47 pto hp. Just upgraded my tractor so this year I get to be in A/C. Good luck.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #9  
If you go green get a newer or new baler. They have an economy (mid20s) small roller. The reason is green is very popular and some around here have had multiple owners are worn out and patched up and rebuild cost are like buying new.

/ Question concerning getting the right round baler #10  
I've used a Vermeer 605C for about 3 years and did ok. Got fed up with it and upgraded to a Vermeer 5400 and it's been flawless. I ran it my JD 5103 which has about 47 pto hp. Just upgraded my tractor so this year I get to be in A/C. Good luck.

There is a 605c for sale around here and it sits and sits and sits. No takers including me.