2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
OK, I looked, and nobody has started this thread yet.

So, here's my first cutting report: Pretty pitiful, actually. 52 acres produced only 72 rolls. (4x5') Normally, that same acreage would produce 150-200 rolls. We just haven't had the rain lately.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #2  
We got needed rain about three weeks back for over a week. My coastal really jumped. Have only 15 acres and this the first year for cutting as was sprigged last year. Of the 15 acres have about three that is not very thick for some reason that area has much of the sprigs to die. But small square bales of coastal had right at 800 bales. My best estimate about 40,000 pounds calculating the number of bales by their weight. Friend who did the baling really bragged on the crop. He had about same amount of acres of his own that produced about 30% as much.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #3  
I baled 30 acre field of Coastal that made 75 4X5.5 rd bales, next 60 acre field made 142 4X5.5 rd bales. I need some rain as it;s getting very dry.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #4  
I'm beginning to panic. I'm looking to buy round bales and nobody has any. What was baled is being kept or already sold out. It's starting to look like I have a long drive coming up to find any.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #5  
I'm beginning to panic. I'm looking to buy round bales and nobody has any. What was baled is being kept or already sold out. It's starting to look like I have a long drive coming up to find any.

Far south Texas has virtually no hay due to no rain. Before yesterday, Victoria had only received 5.99" of rain for the year. They got a bit of rain yesterday, finally.

My buddy who hays south of Victoria says he has a rancher from 3 rivers area willing to pay $60 per 5x5.5 bale and come and get it on his on 18 wheeler. He's praying for rain. I am too.

The area around Dime Box/ Caldwell/ Bryan/College Station has done fairly well because of timely rains.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #6  

Been told up here in the mid-west we are expecting a drop of 30% of hay availability. Found a supplier that can take care of my thankfully. My current supplier is actually having trouble finding labor to do the work. New supplier does small squares with an accumulator and grapple.

Otherwise I was in process to buy a trailer and take a long drive.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #7  
Finally a dry enough week
6.5 acres 300 square bales and the antique 268 didn't miss a single one not bad for a 50 year old machine

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #8  
We made our first cutting this weekend, mixed winter grass and coastal that we feed our cows. Second and third cutting in squares usually go to horse hay customers.

38 bales off of 36 acres. 5.5 x 6.

That's a terrible yield. Its usually x2 that.

/ 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #9  
I am just south of Houston. We got about .75" Saturday and the ground soaked it up instantaneously. 7-10 day forecast has several days with chances of rain so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will probably put out fertilizer this week sometime.

Couldn't find anyone to cut and bale my 10 acres so I mowed it with my flail mower a few weekends ago. I have more Jiggs left than I thought, so I am encouraged. I am looking for a used 4 x 4 or 4 x 5 round baler as we speak. Vermeer 5400 or 5410 Rebel or a John Deere 430 or 435. Hit me up if you know of one. I will drive most anywhere in Texas to pick up a decent one. Budget is $6k.

Last edited:
   / 2018 HAY SEASON Post your results here #10  
15 4x5s off of 16 acres. Very little rain. The only reason I got that many was I had left the winter grass. Pitiful. Looks like I'll be buying later on in the fall.