Haying with MF

/ Haying with MF #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
I been toying with the idea of replacing my Mahindra 6000 with another tractor preferably one with a cab 4x4 and a loader. Looked at the 5400 and 4300 series online. Particularly 5435,5445 and 4325,4335,4345. Anyone out there using any of these models to roll hay? I have a Vermeer 4' wide roller. Want to make sure I get enough hp with the cab to handle this and my 6 disc disc mower. Was also checking out the 1835 sqaure baler since I will have to buy a baler in a year or 2. How much can these balers handle? I mean are they a fast baler in comparison to the 224?
Surely someone has some experience with these.
As big a company as MF is why is it in the category it is on this forum?
I'm particualrly interested in pricing on these models I've mentioned. Any way to get a price without taking a day and going to visit a dealer?

/ Haying with MF #2  
The MF tractors that you listed will not even know that you have a 4' baler behind them. I can't tell you anything about the 1835, no one in this area are using squares anymore or the ones that are are still using 124s and 224s.
The company names are listed in the categorys according to post volume.

/ Haying with MF #3  
I have the 4345,I have never rolled with it but moved plenty of 1500lb+ rolls.This is more than enough tractor for what you ask.If your looking at a fel dont get the massey.Get a bush hog or quicke.I also have a 1835 and have ran only about 200 bails through it so far.I ran about 5-6 mph through alfalfa windrows,the windrows were as big as I could go with without plugging up an 8 wheel rake and you could hardly feel it back there.The tractor was about $48-49 cant remember,it's 4x4, power shuttle,air/heat and has a 1070 loader.That was about 2 years ago.Right now sales are down across the board so you might be able to do better,also they have 0% going.the bailer was $13500 with hitch and shute.

As far as enough power I pull a jd 16' offset disk with 0 probs.

/ Haying with MF #4  
Your comment of " Right now sales are down across the board" is not quite correct. According to the Association of Equipment Manufacturer's info, sales of all tractors are actually slightly ahead of last year. Not much, but a little.

/ Haying with MF
Not a bad price on the baler, but isn't that a little high on the tractor? The comparible deeres I looked at were slightly less than 40. How big of a price difference would it make without the cab. It will probably come down to who will give the best trade on my Mahindra. I think any of the tractors mentioned will do fine without the cab, but you need about 10 extra hp for the cab or so I'm told. Maybe I should just get a canopy and tough it out.
I'm more concerned about the tractor handling the disc mower than the roller. My Mahindra does ok with the roller, but it gets dragged down in thick hay with the mower.

/ Haying with MF #6  
The price is sticker,they gave me $14000 over my trade in.That price included the loader also and it has the worthless power shuttle.I'm not sure about your disc mower,is that a 14' cut.I use a 7' mower conditioner and it doesnt take much to run.

/ Haying with MF #7  
Jw,did you look at the 400 series?They go up to 90hp.You wont have the luxury cab but it will be good hp for less money.Probly better cause you dont have the computer and all the sensors to crap out on you.As of last year you can get them with a cab/air.

/ Haying with MF #8  
Mornin Jerry,
At some point in time I would like to get a small square baler to use behind my MF 1040, 32 engine hp. I would only be baling about 8 acres of my property. The lower part of the property is hilly, Im thankful for FWD!Not too much flatland in Vt! Do you think the tractor would do it or just too small? Any baler come to mind?

scotty

/ Haying with MF #9  
If memory serves me, the 1040 is heavier that most 32 hp compact tractors. You would have to go with a 4x4 and then I wouldn't want to use it on very steep slopes, because it would still be marginal. Someone had a small round that was something like 48"x 32", that would work better.

/ Haying with MF #10  
Thanks Jerry,
Yeah, the 1040 is 3800 lbs with no extra weight. Thanks for the reply, I will keep my eyes open for something in that size range.

scotty