Honda Products

/ Honda Products #1  

Steve_Miller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kioti CK30HST
I have heard from a couple of dealers here in Nova Scotia that Honda as of January 1, 2008 is only selling there products through one dealer. A Honda dealer, cars, trucks, bikes, quads, tillers, lawn mowers, everything Honda makes will be sold at only Honda dealerships. Anyone else hear or see of this in Canada or the U.S. or did I just miss this somewhere? One dealer I dealt with said he could sell parts til the new year. The Honda car dealership down the road was in the process of building a large section on their building to accommodate the new inventory.

Steve

/ Honda Products #2  
I have not seen or heard anything like that.. I am going to my Honda power dealer tomorrow, I will ask him.

/ Honda Products #3  
been a while sence i stopped in and looked at the large power equipment at a lowes/HD... but i thought they carried at least a few models of power equipment that came with a Honda motor... ie pressure washers, and push lawn mowers, and water pumps, etc.

The idea that they would loose out on the mass market of large home improvement stores seems VERY unlikely.

/ Honda Products
Someone else's product with a Honda motor is different from what I can tell.

Steve

/ Honda Products #5  
I think I'd almost bet that Honda boat motors will still be sold by boat dealers.

/ Honda Products #6  
I went to my Honda power dealer today looking at generators. While I was there I asked him about this. He had no knowledge of such a thing happening, he did say that Honda USA is a different company than Honda Canada and it could well be that they are doing things differently in Canada.

/ Honda Products #7  
Yep, thats how it is up here. Honda took away all the small engine products from the dealers that sold it for years and offered it to the local Honda car dealer. They call it the "Honda Powerhouse". Dealers were rightly ticked off, but I was told that Honda has been pretty hard to get along with in the last couple years. They been forcing dealers to take a specific floorplan (ie: if you want the new Rincon fourwheeler you got to take 2 of these scooters which are really hard sells around here) So much for the consumer having a choice. We went from 2 independent Honda dealers to 1:rolleyes: I heard from my former Honda dealer that they're selling products at MSRP with no negoitations, because if you want a Honda they're the only game in town, I was also told that they arent going to sell any aftermarket. Everything from Helmets to windshields is "made" by Honda. They also wont sell the ATV "trunks" that are really popular around here because they're not honda approved and can be used unofficially as a seat for passengers, which Honda says is a no-no.

/ Honda Products #8  
I'm a Honda Small Engine Dealer and I haven't heard anything down here in Florida. I think they would be cutting their own throat to do that. There is a lot of competition with a lot of descent products and the days of restricting dealer outlets are long gone.
I get excellent engine and parts support from my regional supplier. Normally one business day and they are about 100 miles away. I fax the order in and it arrives the next day.

/ Honda Products
Just to see, has any other Honda dealers other than Nova Scotia had to adhere to these rules from Honda as it has happened as of Jan 1, 2009? There were a couple of good size dealers that had to give up the Honda name.

Steve

/ Honda Products #10  
I understand its a Canada wide thing. Funny though, i was in Pro Cycle in Halifax a couple months ago, and they were still a Honda dealer. When i asked,, they said that Honda wasnt taking their dealership, and "they'd be stupid to" because they are the largest dealer in NS.

Is pro cycle still a dealer? And if so, how did they manage to keep it from going to a honda car dealer? If they were allowed to keep theirs, its not really fair to the others that lost theirs to the local auto dealer.