Chains for my Honda

/ Chains for my Honda #1  

AMR

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030
My Honda Accord is absolutely useless with any snow at all, I have a very steep hill on the road approaching my house, many nights I have had to go as far as I can and then drag the car the rest of the way with my tractor, no fun, lots of walking. I have no experience with chains, could I buy a cheap set that I can get on relatively quickly for the 3 or 4 times a year I need it? It appears to me that a set for the front would be all I needed. I put on about 100 miles a day so I don't want to waste the gas in my Tundra plus stay at home mama needs the 4wd when it is bad out and I don't want to drop a mint on snow tires, which I suspect wouldn't work anyway.

/ Chains for my Honda #2  
Studded snow tire would do wonders for your car.

Chains are a pita for a small car like that, but there are some. Car Tire Chains and Snow Chains has some.

/ Chains for my Honda #3  
Studded snow tire would do wonders for your car.

I agree, I am suprized you don't already run studded snow tires in the winter. I used them on my 2 wheel drive vehicles when I lived in Washington state.

When I saw the Thread Title, I thought it was going to be about a motorcycle. When I was building houses in Japan and it would snow they would put chains on their Hondas, (Motorcycles) and keep right on going.
Terry

/ Chains for my Honda #4  
Get some Snow tires. Chains are only good when their on while the proper tires are good all winter. Around here there is no such thing as "ALL" season there is snow season or no snow season lol.

Id recommend some Michelin Xice or bridgestone Blizzaks. At $7-800 installed its cheap insurance.

/ Chains for my Honda #5  
And if ya do have to resort to something like chains, think cable chains instead.

/ Chains for my Honda #6  
Be sure and check your owner's manual.

A friend bought chains for his Civic and did a lot of damage... his model didn't have enough clearance for conventional chains.

He later read in his manual... DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL TIRE CHAINS in bold print.

Best option for snow country is snow tires.

For Ice, Studded Snow Tires.

There are other products such as snow spiders and cable chains that can work in a pinch...

Just be safe and double check what your owner's manual says.

/ Chains for my Honda
sage advice, thank you, it has confirmed my suspicion, I need to buy at least snow tires

question about studs, how long will they last? i was at a tire shop and it appears that the studded snow tires come studless and they are put in by someone at the shop, can I replace them as they wear?

/ Chains for my Honda #8  
sage advice, thank you, it has confirmed my suspicion, I need to buy at least snow tires

question about studs, how long will they last? i was at a tire shop and it appears that the studded snow tires come studless and they are put in by someone at the shop, can I replace them as they wear?

No, never stud a tire after it's been on the road. That's what my tire guy, who is also my friend, told me. The studs will last for the useful life of the tire. I have studded snows on my 2wd Ford Ranger and with some weight in the back, have no problem with our northeast Pa winters. I agree with the above, all seasons are nothing but summer tires. Make sure your snow tires have the M&S (mud and snow) symbol on them. Snow tires are made of a softer compound that grip better in the cold. They also have lugs to get rid of the snow from the treads. Even the best 4wd vehicle is useless with bad tires, put good studded snows on a bad vehicle and it becomes very good in the snow.

/ Chains for my Honda #9  
No, never stud a tire after it's been on the road. That's what my tire guy, who is also my friend, told me. The studs will last for the useful life of the tire. I have studded snows on my 2wd Ford Ranger and with some weight in the back, have no problem with our northeast Pa winters. I agree with the above, all seasons are nothing but summer tires. Make sure your snow tires have the M&S (mud and snow) symbol on them. Snow tires are made of a softer compound that grip better in the cold. They also have lugs to get rid of the snow from the treads. Even the best 4wd vehicle is useless with bad tires, put good studded snows on a bad vehicle and it becomes very good in the snow.

Just goes to show you, don't believe everything you hear. I was told that studded tires were illegal in Pennsylvania. Was Going to get a set for our Mustang (also useless in the snow). SWMBO may make winter shopping trips to Pittsburgh, I figured she would have to take the Durango.

/ Chains for my Honda #10  
I have Goodyear Assurance ComforTred on my Honda Accord. Great in the snow.

If you go with dedicated snow tires, get 4 not 2.
Bob