Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    B3030

Default Chains for my Honda

My Honda Accord is absolutely useless with any snow at all, I have a very steep hill on the road approaching my house, many nights I have had to go as far as I can and then drag the car the rest of the way with my tractor, no fun, lots of walking. I have no experience with chains, could I buy a cheap set that I can get on relatively quickly for the 3 or 4 times a year I need it? It appears to me that a set for the front would be all I needed. I put on about 100 miles a day so I don't want to waste the gas in my Tundra plus stay at home mama needs the 4wd when it is bad out and I don't want to drop a mint on snow tires, which I suspect wouldn't work anyway.

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

Default Re: Chains for my Honda

Studded snow tire would do wonders for your car.

Chains are a pita for a small car like that, but there are some. Car Tire Chains and Snow Chains has some.
    2009 Kubota M7040, cab
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    1963 Oshkosh 4819
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Farmall cub, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 140+- layers, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm

Tractor
    YANMAR FX42d

[QUOTE=atgreene;1556069]Studded snow tire would do wonders for your car.

I agree, I am suprized you don't already run studded snow tires in the winter. I used them on my 2 wheel drive vehicles when I lived in Washington state.

When I saw the Thread Title, I thought it was going to be about a motorcycle. When I was building houses in Japan and it would snow they would put chains on their Hondas, (Motorcycles) and keep right on going.
    Terry
    YANMAR FX42d, Koyker 155 FEL, ROPS w/Canapy, Top & Tilt Gearmore BS w/ Hydraulic Scarfiers. Loaded R4 Industrial Tires, Princess Auto BH w/ Subframe. Boom pole. Pallet Forks.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Get some Snow tires. Chains are only good when their on while the proper tires are good all winter. Around here there is no such thing as "ALL" season there is snow season or no snow season lol.

Id recommend some Michelin Xice or bridgestone Blizzaks. At $7-800 installed its cheap insurance.

Elite Member

And if ya do have to resort to something like chains, think cable chains instead.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Be sure and check your owner's manual.

A friend bought chains for his Civic and did a lot of damage... his model didn't have enough clearance for conventional chains.

He later read in his manual... DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL TIRE CHAINS in bold print.

Best option for snow country is snow tires.

For Ice, Studded Snow Tires.

There are other products such as snow spiders and cable chains that can work in a pinch...

Just be safe and double check what your owner's manual says.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    B3030

sage advice, thank you, it has confirmed my suspicion, I need to buy at least snow tires

question about studs, how long will they last? i was at a tire shop and it appears that the studded snow tires come studless and they are put in by someone at the shop, can I replace them as they wear?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    sage advice, thank you, it has confirmed my suspicion, I need to buy at least snow tires

question about studs, how long will they last? i was at a tire shop and it appears that the studded snow tires come studless and they are put in by someone at the shop, can I replace them as they wear?
    No, never stud a tire after it's been on the road. That's what my tire guy, who is also my friend, told me. The studs will last for the useful life of the tire. I have studded snows on my 2wd Ford Ranger and with some weight in the back, have no problem with our northeast Pa winters. I agree with the above, all seasons are nothing but summer tires. Make sure your snow tires have the M&S (mud and snow) symbol on them. Snow tires are made of a softer compound that grip better in the cold. They also have lugs to get rid of the snow from the treads. Even the best 4wd vehicle is useless with bad tires, put good studded snows on a bad vehicle and it becomes very good in the snow.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3510H, Simplicity SunStar , John Deere X750

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose View Post
    No, never stud a tire after it's been on the road. That's what my tire guy, who is also my friend, told me. The studs will last for the useful life of the tire. I have studded snows on my 2wd Ford Ranger and with some weight in the back, have no problem with our northeast Pa winters. I agree with the above, all seasons are nothing but summer tires. Make sure your snow tires have the M&S (mud and snow) symbol on them. Snow tires are made of a softer compound that grip better in the cold. They also have lugs to get rid of the snow from the treads. Even the best 4wd vehicle is useless with bad tires, put good studded snows on a bad vehicle and it becomes very good in the snow.
    Just goes to show you, don't believe everything you hear. I was told that studded tires were illegal in Pennsylvania. Was Going to get a set for our Mustang (also useless in the snow). SWMBO may make winter shopping trips to Pittsburgh, I figured she would have to take the Durango.
    Hast weh getan, hast gut getan

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

I have Goodyear Assurance ComforTred on my Honda Accord. Great in the snow.

If you go with dedicated snow tires, get 4 not 2.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast