Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue...

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #1  

taskforce81

Tractor
Honda 5013 & 5518
Hello Everyone!!! First of all, I would just like to say that my Honda 5013 tractor has treated me well for quite a while now... But now I have an issue that is more of a nagging problem than a major issue, but it is still something I would like to see if anyone has an answer for... I use my tractor strictly during the winter months in Michigan for snow blowing... I do not know necessarily how long ago this problem started all I know is my problem is this... During or shortly after use, I notice that my Hydraulic Fluid a.k.a. (Power Steering Fluid) in the reservoir underneath the seat is starting to foam up and come out through the cap... The fluid is not hot and it does not seem to be under any major pressure at all... It just foams up enough to push through the cap... I did go to one of my local Honda dealers and he said it could be a number of problems and possibly a couple of the check valves within the system.... What do think?!?

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

First, Please do NOT post the same question in three places across the forum, it makes it VERY hard to help you when answers and suggestions are all spread out.

The foaming is usually caused be a leak in the hydraulic system on the RETURN side of the pump, meaning that air is being sucked into the system where it mixes with the oil and starts to foam. Often times there is no external leakage making it hard to find. Return lines are usually larger rubber lines that connect between the sump and the pump. Also be sure to check filters if your system has any.

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #3  
Kenny, did you mean suction? Did your coffee kick in yet? :D

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue...
Deeply sorry about the multiple posts... I just figured I would not put all of my eggs in one basket, if you know what I mean... Thanks for the reply Kenny!!! So far so good... any other suggestions?!?

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #6  
Deeply sorry about the multiple posts... I just figured I would not put all of my eggs in one basket, if you know what I mean... Thanks for the reply Kenny!!! So far so good... any other suggestions?!?

That is the best suggestion. What exactly does "so far so good" mean? Foaming can only be caused by a leak on the suction side of the pump unless someone put soap in your reservoir:eek:

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #7  
While I agree the other reponce is the most likely, foam can also be cause by return flow to the sump that is not submerged below the oil level. Look for low oil level or perhaps a return line broke off inside the sump
Ken:)

/ Honda 5013 Hydraulic Issue... #8  
Sorry Kenny, not trying to be a smart *****, I was typing my last post at the same time as you were typing yours.
Ken:eek: