Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #1  

Shmudda

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am in need of a small Honda lawn mower for a relative if mine. The units sold here in the USA are very large, heavy and to big for her. I see there are some nice small 16" & 18" units from Canada that are available to purchase. I know there are a lot of our Northern friends on here from Canada and thats why I'm asking. How do I get one of these Canadian Hondas here in the United States? I live just outside Pittsburgh, PA.

Thanks,

Craig

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #2  
The Izy's are nice mowers. They're designed for a small lawn.I looked at them at my dealer. I've been using a HRS21 self propelled for several years and its been pretty much bulletproof. THe only problem is that the underside of the deck is rusting. Thats operator error:rolleyes: because i havent been washing the deck after use. Ill slap some POR 15 on it this year. Motor has been typical honda strong.Easy starting, usually on the first pull.

As far as getting a IZY in the states, i dont think a dealer there can get it for you because its not listed on the US site. Might be worth a try though. Maybe a drive to Canada is in order?:D
http://www.honda.ca/HPower/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&Type=Lawnmowers&Series=IZYcompactseries&Model=HRG415C2PC

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada
Jason,

That drive to Canada is not totally out of the question, but what about coming back across the border? Will I have any issues getting it across??

Craig

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #4  
I cant see it being an issue, however im not sure where the Izy's are made (i think europe but i could be wrong). If they're US made, like the other honda mowers, then they should be under NAFTA and no duty. Otherwise you might have to cough up duty at the border unless you want to chance sneaking it across.

THe only other issues i can see, might be warranty and parts availability. I dont know what honda's warranty policy on a "grey market" import would be. If parts arent available in the US then you could likely order them from your selling dealer.

Id call a canadian dealer to confirm parts interchange (with US models) and whether they will ship parts across the border. I bet you'll find that they have alot of parts in common and the only reason they're not sold in the US is politics, labeling (if theyre made in Europe) or the fact that they're a smaller mower than what is typically sold in the US.

That said, i dont anticipate you having any problems, Honda's are pretty much bulletproof. Ive had zero issues with mine.

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #5  
After a little research it looks like its a Euro made machine. The engine (GCV135)
looks to share alot of service parts with the GCV 160 which is sold in the US, so engine parts shouldnt be a problem. The only parts ive needed for mine have been regular maintenance items like spark plugs and air filters, and those parts are the same as the 160.

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #6  
I hear the Toros cut better.

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #7  
Toro makes some nice mowers, but i dont think they have anything less than 21". You can get some Toros with Honda power too. That would be a nice machine Toro aluminum deck with honda engine. Best of both worlds. My only issue is with honda's stamped steel deck rusting, the cut was fine.

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada
I have a Toro with a Honda engine and the thing is somewhat heavy for the person that wants to use it. It is also a 21" cut and she doesn't want one that big.

Actually, she just purchased a Lawnboy, 20" self propelled that weighs just 5lb more then the 16" Honda from Canada. Seems like a good mower, and very easy to start, and it has an adjustable speed for the rear wheel drive. Not a bad mower for 269 bucks.

Thanks for all the replys and information......

Craig

/ Need Small Honda Lawnmower....from Canada #9  
Sounds like a good unit! Good luck